Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Goal setting (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9384)

ron79 03-18-2012 11:50 AM

Goal setting

How important is goal setting in body building? I want to set some goals but am really unsure where to begin. I know that I can not say I want to be buff in a month. Not going to happen. What are some realistic goals for me? I just started lifting not that long ago. I am 32 years old right now and am 5'9". I weigh about 190 pounds.

Rich Knapp 03-18-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron79 (Post 225488)
How important is goal setting in body building? I want to set some goals but am really unsure where to begin. I know that I can not say I want to be buff in a month. Not going to happen. What are some realistic goals for me? I just started lifting not that long ago. I am 32 years old right now and am 5'9". I weigh about 190 pounds.

First goal should be to learn all the basics about nutrition.
Next to be consistant for a solid month on meals and workouts. (then each month )

As for weight, just starting out lifting you will get heaver before you get lighter. This is because you are useing more muscles and they will start to hold more energy to compensate and get heathier. Then you will stabalize and start to drop weight.

BendtheBar 03-18-2012 05:18 PM

Rich gave you great advice. Make a goal to learn the basics, and develop habits with the basics. This will be your foundation for all future progress.

bamazav 03-18-2012 08:09 PM

What the others said is great. I would only add, be a smart student. Don't accept anything because the biggest guy at the gym said it or the most familiar name on the webz wrote it. Research, check and recheck and then experiment yourself. Everyone of us is different. What works for one, may not work for you. Don't accept, check and double check. Oh and be sure to eat right, sleep right and lift right.

MVP 03-18-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron79 (Post 225488)

Beginner phases of weightlifting should be sought out by a couple of terms and their meanings.

#1- Linear progressive resistance
#2- Compound movements
#3- Antagonistic training

Train your pushes and pulls, squats, deadlifts, power cleans and focus on adding weight each workout. Get your form and diet down. After you have made that linear progress, then go the bodybuilding route, powerlifting route, or even strongman or whatever it is you are training to do. Everyone needs to take advantage of that linear progression though. It'll benefit it you regardless of your goals later on in life.