Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
70sBB
Brawn
Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts
Default Arnold Schwarzenegger workout

Doing some research just for fun and it seems Arnold Schwarzenegger started with full body training and ended up by almost splitting it and training with half a fullbody 6 times a week. Does this sound about right? This is the final workout I am talking about:

Arnold Schwarzenegger?s Workout Routine – Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

What I find curious about some of the discussion threads across various bodybuilding sites is that a good portion of the comments attack the notion that Arnold used a full body workout at all, but seem to completely ignore the fact that the workout he did use looks much more like full body training than it does a 1980s bodybuilding split.

Am I on target here with my thinking? I doubt want to miss anything.
70sBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

BtB has that information posted here on MAB as well http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/wor...stem-size.html
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

From my research Arnold was already pretty big before he started using the volume workout he was known for. I don't know how long he used "the Arnold routine", and what his training evolution looked like.

What we do know is this:

(Re-posted from the link in Off Road's response):

Quote:
When I was trying to get bigger in my early days of training, I followed a routine called the Golden Six. I made tremendous gains on this program and do did many others who trained at my gym in Munich. All agreed that this simple system of training produced excellent gains in muscle size and bodyweight. Here are the Golden Six:

1.) Barbell Squats. This exercise not only develops the lower body, but it strengthens the heart and lungs while improving the general circulation as well. Use a weight that will permit you to perform 4 sets of 10 reps. Always lower yourself until your upper thighs are at least parallel to the floor, and keep your back flat.

2.) Barbell Bench Presses. This is my favorite upper body exercise, and almost every training program I've ever used includes it. Take a fairly wide grip -- your hands about 32 inches apart. Inhale as you lower the bar to your nipples and exhale as you push it back to arms' length. Don't bounce the weight off your chest. 3 sets of 10 reps.

3.) Chins.
If you have limited training experience you may find chins difficult at first. If you have a lat machine, you can perform pulldowns until you've developed sufficient strength to do chins. Use a fairly wide grip and try to bring your chin over the bar. Do as many reps as you can for 3 sets.

4.) Overhead Presses.
This exercise reigns supreme for widening and thickening the shoulders. I prefer to do it seated and often press behind the neck. Use a wide grip -- your thumbs about six inches wider than your delts on each side. Lower the weight slowly and don't pause at the bottom. 4 sets of 10 reps.

5.) Barbell Curls.
The triceps have already been thoroughly exercised during the bench press and the overhead press. Use a shoulder width grip and a weight you can curl without any body movement. Don't let your elbows move away from the sides of your body, make sure you straighten your arms completely before each rep and do 3 sets of 10 reps.

6.) Bent-Knee Situps.
It's only sensible to keep your midsection firm and toned when gaining muscular weight. Situps also improve digestion and elimination as well. Don't pause between reps and continue for 20 or as many reps as you can do without stopping. Do 3 or 4 sets.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Most bodybuilders train much differently than conventional functional and natural weightlifters. I'm surprised Arnold had the basics down minus the bent over rows.

I remember watching Milos Sarcev on the fit show teaching bodybuilding technique. Instead of training with the elbows tucked like most of us do, he recommends you to train with the elbows flared out (very damaging to the shoulder joint) and also trains with the elbows out during overhead pressing which involves more of the anterior deltoids and less of the overall scapula.

I remember hearing Arnold was a huge fan of Arnold Presses and incline dumbell curls.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post

I remember watching Milos Sarcev on the fit show teaching bodybuilding technique. Instead of training with the elbows tucked like most of us do, he recommends you to train with the elbows flared out (very damaging to the shoulder joint) and also trains with the elbows out during overhead pressing which involves more of the anterior deltoids and less of the overall scapula.
Bodybuilding was my life for 20+ years and this was how every bodybuilder and magazine taught it. It's also probably why my shoulder health is spotty right now.

Glwanabe and I have had this conversation several times, and I don't mean to offend anyone who believes otherwise, but I simply do not believe any lifter should turn a compound movement into more of a isolation movement for the sake of "feel".

Good form is good form.

So many in this industry try to turn isolation movements into compound movements so they can use more iron, and compound movements into isolation movements by changing the lift so they can get a better "feel". I simply don't like this one bit.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-05-2012 at 05:07 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote