Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Leg press and squats (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9200)

70sBB 03-04-2012 12:50 AM

Leg press and squats

If you're going to use both the leg press and squats for bodybuilding doe sit matter which one you use first if you focus on getting stronger over time? Probably a stupid question.

Off Road 03-04-2012 01:40 AM

Squats are King, do them first.

Tannhauser 03-04-2012 07:44 AM

In my opinion, you should usually do first the exercise which (a) requires more coordination and (b) activates the greater amount of muscle mass.

As squats fulfil both of those criteria, If I were you, I would do squats first.

Just from a safety point of view, I've never liked the idea of squatting with pre-exhausted thighs - I think it's a recipe for disaster. Leg press is a much more controllable exercise that doesn't require any element of balance.

MVP 03-04-2012 11:06 AM

Squats first. No questions asked. Squats are KING.

I think you'll find front squats are a better substitution than leg presses.

70sBB 03-04-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannhauser (Post 221590)
In my opinion, you should usually do first the exercise which (a) requires more coordination and (b) activates the greater amount of muscle mass.

As squats fulfil both of those criteria, If I were you, I would do squats first.

Just from a safety point of view, I've never liked the idea of squatting with pre-exhausted thighs - I think it's a recipe for disaster. Leg press is a much more controllable exercise that doesn't require any element of balance.

This all makes a lot of sense.

BendtheBar 03-04-2012 11:25 AM

Agree with every one here. Do the most challenging exercise first, meaning squats. The leg press is tough but not on the level of squats. In addition the leg press can be a nice finisher. Doing 20, 30 and 40 reps sets is a blast.

70sBB 03-04-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 221626)
Squats first. No questions asked. Squats are KING.

I think you'll find front squats are a better substitution than leg presses.

I have really puny legs. Do you think front squats are better for quads?

bruteforce 03-04-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70sBB (Post 221634)
I have really puny legs. Do you think front squats are better for quads?

Not until you get your back squat up pretty high. I'm not saying don't do front squats, but the squat itself is going to make you stronger faster than front squats alone. 400 pounds on your back is going to send a stronger signal for your legs to grow than 200 on your shoulders.

dmaipa 03-05-2012 02:45 PM

I'm looking at this straight from a bodybuilder standpoint:

I see that you want to get stronger over time. Doing a routine over a period of time will allow you to get stronger with correct progression. Now what should you do first, Leg Press or Squats?

First off, not too sure of your training level or experience but I see nothing wrong with doing leg press before squats. Of course if you do squats, you won't be able to go as heavy as you would want to but you are still getting the work done. It won't hurt to give it a try and see how your body feels. Or another way, alternated between the two exercises of which goes first.

Im all for experimentation and some are not. It's a personal preference.

emekajokammor 03-05-2012 03:26 PM

All good recommendations posted above. I'm a little confused by your question tho, not saying that you can't get stronger while focusing on bodybuilding but strength is not more important than proper resistance and contraction, IMO.

For me, i've switched to doing heavy leg press for sets of 12-20 first as my mass builder and then squats next.

Used to squat first for years but as i begin to feel the stress of heavy squats on my knees i begin to back off them. Truly, no replacement for squats, so i knew i had to keep them as a constant in my leg training. So with me going with heavy leg press first, i don't have to load the bar with a ton of weight to get some solid work done on squat, which means less stress on my knees.