Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
70sBB
Brawn
Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts
Default Leg press and squats

If you're going to use both the leg press and squats for bodybuilding doe sit matter which one you use first if you focus on getting stronger over time? Probably a stupid question.
70sBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Squats are King, do them first.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

In my opinion, you should usually do first the exercise which (a) requires more coordination and (b) activates the greater amount of muscle mass.

As squats fulfil both of those criteria, If I were you, I would do squats first.

Just from a safety point of view, I've never liked the idea of squatting with pre-exhausted thighs - I think it's a recipe for disaster. Leg press is a much more controllable exercise that doesn't require any element of balance.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Squats first. No questions asked. Squats are KING.

I think you'll find front squats are a better substitution than leg presses.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
70sBB
Brawn

70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
In my opinion, you should usually do first the exercise which (a) requires more coordination and (b) activates the greater amount of muscle mass.

As squats fulfil both of those criteria, If I were you, I would do squats first.

Just from a safety point of view, I've never liked the idea of squatting with pre-exhausted thighs - I think it's a recipe for disaster. Leg press is a much more controllable exercise that doesn't require any element of balance.
This all makes a lot of sense.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Agree with every one here. Do the most challenging exercise first, meaning squats. The leg press is tough but not on the level of squats. In addition the leg press can be a nice finisher. Doing 20, 30 and 40 reps sets is a blast.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-04-2012 at 11:55 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
70sBB
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Squats first. No questions asked. Squats are KING.

I think you'll find front squats are a better substitution than leg presses.
I have really puny legs. Do you think front squats are better for quads?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sBB View Post
I have really puny legs. Do you think front squats are better for quads?
Not until you get your back squat up pretty high. I'm not saying don't do front squats, but the squat itself is going to make you stronger faster than front squats alone. 400 pounds on your back is going to send a stronger signal for your legs to grow than 200 on your shoulders.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I'm looking at this straight from a bodybuilder standpoint:

I see that you want to get stronger over time. Doing a routine over a period of time will allow you to get stronger with correct progression. Now what should you do first, Leg Press or Squats?

First off, not too sure of your training level or experience but I see nothing wrong with doing leg press before squats. Of course if you do squats, you won't be able to go as heavy as you would want to but you are still getting the work done. It won't hurt to give it a try and see how your body feels. Or another way, alternated between the two exercises of which goes first.

Im all for experimentation and some are not. It's a personal preference.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

All good recommendations posted above. I'm a little confused by your question tho, not saying that you can't get stronger while focusing on bodybuilding but strength is not more important than proper resistance and contraction, IMO.

For me, i've switched to doing heavy leg press for sets of 12-20 first as my mass builder and then squats next.

Used to squat first for years but as i begin to feel the stress of heavy squats on my knees i begin to back off them. Truly, no replacement for squats, so i knew i had to keep them as a constant in my leg training. So with me going with heavy leg press first, i don't have to load the bar with a ton of weight to get some solid work done on squat, which means less stress on my knees.

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote