Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Well you did make good strength gains while "only" at 145. I hesitate to say only, because you were moving a good amount of weight pound for pound.

First off, great job in getting to the levels you were at in 2010. One good thing is that climbing back up the mountain will be easier this time around.

People can get pretty strong without adding a lot of weight. We have a 165 pound powerlifter here who deadlifts close to 600. Your strength gain is a testament to your dedication and consistency.

I am assuming your primary goals are muscle building, since this is in the muscle building forum. I would say that really the only thing missing from the equation for you is the addition of some extra calories per day.

This in combination with your work ethic will yield some very good progress. If you can get your bench, squat and deadlift to 300, 400 and 500 while getting your weight up to 165 to 185 I think you will be pleased with the result.

One thing that can help us help you is if you could present more information on how you generally eat when you train...what your habits are, what types of foods you eat, when you eat, that sort of thing. Once we understand your patterns and preferences hopefully we can make some minor suggestions that will make a big difference.
Excellent reply.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinbusiness View Post
Here is my final workout regime and goals:

Goals by end of 2012:
Bodyweight: 160lbs
Bench: 3x6 195lbs
Deadlift: 3x6 285lbs
Squat: 3x6 225lbs
3200 calories per day.

Routine: 2 day split

Workout A:
Situps: 1 x 12
Squat: 3 x 6-12
Back Extension: 1 x 15
Bench Press: 3 x 6-12
Pull Down's: 3 x 12
Calf Raises: 1 x 12
Static Grip: 1 x 60sec

Workout B:
Side Bends: 1 x 12
Deadlift: 3 x 6-12
Military Press: 3 x 6-12
Barbell Curls: 3 x 6-12
Closegrip Bench: 3 x 6-12
Wrist Curls: 1 x 15

Did workout A last Thursday 3/1/12

3/6/12 Workout B weigh in 135lbs
SB: BW 1x12
Dead: 135lbs warmup 3x6 185lbs
Military press: 2x8 75lbs, 1x6 75lbs
BB Curls: 3x8 40lbs
Closegrip Bench: 3x8 115lbs
Wrist curls: 1x15 15lbs

------

After some good stretching today for workout B I managed to easily put up 3 sets of 6x185lbs on deadlift so felt good...lower back seems to be fully healed and it didn't feel uneasy at all.

My military press is awful though -- 3x8 75lbs. Felt like it was more a lack of supporting muscles than strength...just gotta keep at it although the plates on each side make me look pretty pathetic!!!

The scoops of ice cream in the shake seem to be working good. It doesn't feel heavier, but its adding 300 calories each shake, so hopefully that helps.
BTB has done a tremendous job at pointing you in the right direction with your goals and advice so far.

Your workouts are spot on, but if your overhead press is suffering due to lack of stabilizer muscles, chances are you have a weak core. I usually recommend planks and isometric holds to the core to strengthen those muscles in positions like pressing movements where their sole purpose is stabilization of the midline of the body.

Secondly, chances are you're not doing a real "military" press. People often think military pressing is simply standing up and pressing overhead, but it's not; it is a more specific version of the lift. "Military" press refers to overhead pressing with the heels together and standing like a soldier to involve more of the core muscles. You'll witness greater increments of strength by spreading your feet apart and doing a conventional overhead press.

Another thing you could possibly add to your protein shakes is peanut butter. I would add a little bit extra milk to your daily intake as milk is great for growth, protein, calcium, liquid intake, etc.

Right now, back extensions and wrist curls are probably not going to make any difference in your progress. Your forearms will be worked isometrically through deadlifts and bench presses very specifically, and your lower back will get a ton of direct stimulation through deadlifts, squats, bent over rows, and other movements.

Good luck to you with your goals. Right now, my advice would be to just focus on gaining weight and gaining strength. Like BTB said, get your bench up to 300, squat up to 400, deadlift up to 500 and get your weight up to 165-185lbs and you will be very satisfied.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
backinbusiness
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

backinbusiness is off to a bad start

I should have clarified -- that's seated Military Press. I can probably do more standing...Maybe I should switch to non-seated?

Should I add in a set of Planks so that it should help build my core? If so, on Workout A or B?
backinbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #14
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
I should have clarified -- that's seated Military Press. I can probably do more standing...Maybe I should switch to non-seated?
Yeah, you should definitely do the standing press; it'll work your core much harder. Core strength leads to strength in EVERY lift.

Quote:
Should I add in a set of Planks so that it should help build my core? If so, on Workout A or B?
At the end of the workout, just do some type of movement working in the core. Hanging leg raises and planks are both prime examples. Do them at the end of every workout, or you could do hanging leg raises at the end of workout a, then planks at the end of workout b.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #15
backinbusiness

I should also add that I broke my wrist 2 years ago snowboarding and I do have some discomfort when the wrist is lifting weight angled (ie curls etc) so I will keep the wrist curls so it helps build and strengthen everything in that area to handle the weight.

Also -- when I was deadlifting above 300lbs, I noticed my grip strength was struggling, so I think it may help me this time around.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #16
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
I should also add that I broke my wrist 2 years ago snowboarding and I do have some discomfort when the wrist is lifting weight angled (ie curls etc) so I will keep the wrist curls so it helps build and strengthen everything in that area to handle the weight.

Also -- when I was deadlifting above 300lbs, I noticed my grip strength was struggling, so I think it may help me this time around.
Your grip strength will start to hinder naturally at the 300lb level usually. Your best bet are rack pulls, hanging towel chins, buying a set of grippers, farmers walk, brick lateral raises, and climbing thick ropes. You can use supplemental things like chalk too.

IMO, if you are not considering competing in powerlifting, it's alright to use straps. That's just my opinion though.

If your wrist curls you feel are a part of your rehabilitation to your wrist, then it'd probably be best if you keep them in your current routine.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #17
backinbusiness

weighed in this morning 139.2lbs so I am up almost 4lbs from when I started (well tonight I am 140.8...but I expect its all food), I tend to weigh myself after my morning poop so at least I have some consistency. I can see my weight fluctuate almost 5lbs in a single day sometimes, usually 2-3lbs.

Bench is up 10lbs, Squat 15lbs, Deadlift 2 more reps same weight (back is taking longer to heal than expected) -- but I figure again its due to injury. Just needs a little more time to get back into groove, but its progressing nonetheless.

I think I am on track for about 3 weeks in.