Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Zipz
New Brawn
Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Zipz is off to a bad start
Default Should I bother?

Should I even bother trying to lose fat while building muscle or is it pointless? I learned a lot from muscle and brawn about why I should get strong but I still need to lose fat. Right now I am 5'8 235 and look pretty pathetic in the mirror.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

If that is the goal then go for it. Keep a diet log, and have some of more experienced people on the board give you some guidance. It is a very realistic goal to gain muscle while losing fat. Best of luck in your goals!!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipz View Post
Should I even bother trying to lose fat while building muscle or is it pointless? I learned a lot from muscle and brawn about why I should get strong but I still need to lose fat. Right now I am 5'8 235 and look pretty pathetic in the mirror.
If you're a beginner, or have had a relatively decent break before starting up, or are just fortunate enough to hit diet and exercise just right...you will be able to do both at the same time.

Building muscle and losing fat simultaneously will mean the scales may not accurately reflect what is occurring so it would be best to use a tape measure as well.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

If you improve your strength while knocking off 30-50 pounds over the next year you'll probably be very pleased with how you look. One step at a time.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Contrary to common thought, you can lose fat and build muscle at the same time. Tain't easy, but it can be done. The key is more in the kitchen than in the gym.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Ah yes, the never-ending question; Can you lose weight and gain muscle at the same time?

I'm sure it's entirely possible if you are really fat, a real newbie, or have some super secret supplements in your bag. But for the rest of us it's a painfully slow process that has little room for error. Do you have that patience and are you that precise with your macros and nutritional timing? If not, do yourself a favor and pick one goal at a time. Remember it's faster to lose fat than it is to gain muscle, so I will recommend getting in shape first.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote