Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
_J_
Chalk Rebel
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Whole Milk
_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine
Default Intermediate lifter switching from Madcow to U/L Split

Iíve been a member here for a while and a lurker for much longer. About 5 months ago, in October of 2010, I started Madcow 5x5. Iíve made great gains across the board. But, the program requires plenty of excess calories and a 3 day workout. Due to caloric and scheduling changes, Iíll be switching to a 4 day workout, and in the next week or 2, Iíll be dropping below maintenance to take off the fat Iíve put on over the last 5 months. Because I really like the fullbody concept, Iím going to try an upper/lower split, with maybe a tweak or 2.

M- Squat, R.Deadlift, Calf Raise, Weighted Situps
T- Bench, Incl. Db Bench, Db Rows, Curls, Shrugs
Th- Deadlift, F.Squats, OHP, Calf Raise, Cable Crunches
F- Bb Row, Chinups, Dips, Pulldowns, Tricep cable pressdowns

1. How does this look? Balance, volume? Yeah, I know OHP is on a lower body day, but I donít want to do it on a bench day and doing it on the same day as dips is tough on my shoulders. Since I only planned on doing 4x5 on DL and OHP, I figured there was time for it on the 2nd lower body day.

2. What kind of set/rep scheme should I use? I donít want to lose the adaptation Iíve gained in Madcow (b/c Iíll be able to go back to it in August), so Iíd like to keep something of a 5x5 type of set/rep scheme on Squat, Bench, Row, DL and OHP, while perhaps going with a different set/rep on the remaining exercises. Maybe even the straight sets, 20 rep goal, MAB scheme.

Thanks.
_J_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

I would do this:

Day 1
Squat 5x5
Power Clean 5x3
GHR or Back Ext 5x10

Day 2
Bench Press 5x5 alternate evry week with miltary press 5x5
Push Press 2x3 on bench weeks dips 3x10 on military press weeks
Chins 3x10

Day 3
Squats 1x3
Deadlift 1x5
GHR or BE 5x10

Day 4
Bench Press 1x3 alternate military press 1x3
dumbell bench 3x8
pull ups 3x10
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _J_ View Post
Iíve been a member here for a while and a lurker for much longer. About 5 months ago, in October of 2010, I started Madcow 5x5. Iíve made great gains across the board. But, the program requires plenty of excess calories and a 3 day workout. Due to caloric and scheduling changes, Iíll be switching to a 4 day workout, and in the next week or 2, Iíll be dropping below maintenance to take off the fat Iíve put on over the last 5 months. Because I really like the fullbody concept, Iím going to try an upper/lower split, with maybe a tweak or 2.
I'll be giving you another option, for fun and torture.

Monday
Squat 5 x 5
RDL 2 x 12-15 or Cleans
Calves
Shrugs (if cleans drop these for heavy abs and side bends)

Tuesday
Bench Press 5x5
DB Row 2-3 x 10-20
Dips
Chin Ups

Thursday
Deadlift 3x5 (Ramping, last set is heavy) - Probably same as Mike's
Squat 1x20 or Front Squats rep scheme of choice
OHP Variation, rep scheme of choice - 5x5 or 3 sets rep goal of 20
Heavy Abs & Side bends

Friday
Barbell Row 5x5
Incline DB Press
Pull Ups
Curls

My thoughts:

--With chin ups and pullups in the mix, lat pulldowns are a bit redundant.
--Some of this is personal preference, so as long as the big lifts are in the mix, it's ok to have a few pet fun lifts.
--I like to space tricep movement (bench and dips) apart with a back movement to allow for some recovery. This is personal preference.
--You could add curls into of chinups on Tuesday, and place a tricep lift on Friday.
--Could add an extra lift each day to fit in an extra day of calves, tricep extensions, etc.

Overall back can take a lot of work. So can triceps, generally, as long as it's not high volume each day.

You could use a 20-25 rep goal for squats, OHP, rows and bench presses if you're like. Drop them to 3 sets. It would allow you to push on every set for as much as possible. Either way you'll be good to go.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote