Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Deadlift progression

I wanted to toss this up so perhaps we could give Jordan some progression advice.

Quote:
Last week I did
60kg x 8
80kg x 8
90kg x 8
100kg x 6

I was thinking of trying to get 3 or 4 reps at 110kg?

If I went,
60kg
80kg
95kg
110kg?

Not sure if I'm being too optimistic?
My advice when using a 4 set scheme is this...pick a rep target for that last set...5, 6, 7 or 8. Whatever you want. Doesn't matter much. Let's pretend it's 6.

When you hit 6 reps on that last set, add 5 pounds the next time you train. Only 5. Sounds weak, pointless and slow right? No...it's a max addition of 260 pounds to your deadlift in a single year which is amazing.

The only way I would recommend adding 10 pounds is if you hit the gym and suddenly perform 10 to 12 reps on that last set.

Other people might disagree. There are 100 ways to do this, and in the end all that matters is that you are focused on adding weight.

I prefer moderate, consistent progress. It allows you to continue to work on form while adding weight. Bigger jumps can sneak up on you sometimes. 5 extra pounds can make a huge difference on lifts, even for advanced lifters.

On some max attempts one weight might feel relatively easy, while adding 5 pounds makes it feel like I am lifting the moon. This difference can also contribute to the accumulation of minor strains and pains.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

i would agree here Steve,

and also add that trowing up 10lbs a week will lead to stalling pretty soon.

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

To chime in with my experience, adding 20 pounds a week was about right as I took my deadlift from very light (185) to still pretty light (345). After that, I needed to slow down some and 10 pounds every week to week and a half worked well. If I can keep my upper body in one piece long enough, I'm hoping to run 20 pounds a month until I hit the mid 500s
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Jamesw
Brawn
Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: plyo pistol
Jamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributor

I like this idea.

sometimes 5lbs makes all the difference in the world. If one tries to lift too heavy form breaks down quickly thus setting one up for injury. DL's are to be respected as with any lift, but maybe a little more on the DL.
"When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character." -Henry Rollins
Jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesw View Post

sometimes 5lbs makes all the difference in the world.
Nail on head.

There are times on bench press where one weight will move seemingly without effort, but an extra 5 pounds feels like an elephant just sat on the bar.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1 year+
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

5 is the magic number
SeventySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post
5 is the magic number
Progression is the magic number.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I prefer moderate, consistent progress. It allows you to continue to work on form while adding weight.
Exactly what I would say. Not to mention that small jumps also adds confidence.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
If I can keep my upper body in one piece long enough, I'm hoping to run 20 pounds a month until I hit the mid 500s
Good luck. I hope you get there - that would be astonishing progress.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote