Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
batton
New Brawn
Points: 108, Level: 2 Points: 108, Level: 2 Points: 108, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

batton is off to a bad start
Default Self conscious

Were you self conscious in the beginning? If so what did you do to overcome this?
batton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Self conscious of what? Lifting in front of people? I am still self conscious of that, even after many years.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

The very first time I stepped in to the gym, I was more self-conscious than I am now but I'm still self-conscious, though, to be fair, I'm generally a very self-conscious person anyway.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
_J_
Chalk Rebel
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Whole Milk
_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine

Oh yeah, I was self conscious in the beginning. I started lifting (again) about 3 years ago and I remember that first day--I was incline BB benching 85 pounds. I felt awful about how weak and flabby I was.

How did I get over that feeling? It took time. I focused on myself--kept telling myself "who gives a damn what they're lifting?" & "everyone starts somewhere"--and tried to shut everything else out. By keeping a log of my lifts and bodyweight, I gained confidence b/c after a few weeks, I could see I was lifting more and looking better. That confidence grew and grew.

After a year or so of steady lifting and gains on the bar and on the scale, I started noticing my fellow lifters again (little by little). I noticed that most of them were still ifting the same weights they had been lifting when I started. Most hadn't improved; they had stagnated. They weren't significantly stronger or bigger/leaner than when I started. Of the guys that worked out at lunch when I did, I could count the number of people making progress (even slight steady progress) on one hand.

Focus on YOUR lifts, YOUR weight, YOUR diet---forget about what THEY are doing b/c most of them (in my experience) are wasting their time. Keep a log, so you can see your success on paper. Don't worry about the "low" weights you use, instead focus on how far you've come. Confidence will come from progress.
_J_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

When I first began lifting at a commercial like gym I was self-conscience. Stemmed from my lack of strength in the lifts I performed and my knowledge of lifting. I'd look at someone benching or rowing hundreds of pounds more than I could, I looked around and watched people do things I wasn't doing and it got me thinking: why can't I do this, am I doing the right stuff, am I getting to much rest or not enough. I saw what others were doing and thought I was wrong or misguided.

I'm sure any type of self-conscious thought is somewhat related to strength, physical development, knowledge. Its easy to say stop caring about the people around you, what they look like or what they are doing... hard to implement. Just keep going to the gym to get comfortable in the environment, continue pushing yourself, force progression, do your research, and keep an open mind.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Ironmeat
New Brawn
Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1

Ironmeat is off to a bad start

Yes I was. That is one of the reasons I started to lift. It has made me not as self conscious of my body and I look and feel good now.
Ironmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

I was very self conscious, I no longer am, but instead I am open to watching and learning from others. I always pay attention to what people do, and I try talk to people and listen to what everyone has to say about training. Most of the time at my gym people talk about bicep specialization, but sometimes you meet people who really know their stuff, and they are great to talk to.

Whats interesting though is the people who tend to be self conscious are often open to advice and help, and this will make them a better lifter if they listen to the right people. On the other hand you see 150lb bicep warriors who have been training for years and still look the same, they are often over confident and dont listen to anyone, this is why they are still 150lbs and weak after 2 years of "hard training".

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I just dont like crowds. After working in a prison population all day I didnt want to be around people.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

I've never been self-conscious about how much I lift because I started out before I ever joined a gym. So by the time I got to the gym, I was already stronger than most there. Sure there were a couple of guys incredibly stronger than I was, but I was more amazed than I was intimidated. I like to see strong lifters.

However, I have always been self-conscious about my body fat. Even when I wasn't fat.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
angie828
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26

angie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributorangie828 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by batton View Post
Were you self conscious in the beginning? If so what did you do to overcome this?
Yes very. Being a woman I still am. But I am much more confident now then what I was a few years ago.
angie828 is offline   Reply With Quote