Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
irongirl
Brawn
Points: 1,563, Level: 22 Points: 1,563, Level: 22 Points: 1,563, Level: 22
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

irongirl has made some very good postsirongirl has made some very good postsirongirl has made some very good postsirongirl has made some very good postsirongirl has made some very good postsirongirl has made some very good postsirongirl has made some very good postsirongirl has made some very good postsirongirl has made some very good postsirongirl has made some very good postsirongirl has made some very good posts
Default Misconceptions

What are the misconceptions of body building that you may have had before you started? I was really nervous that I would get huge and look too muscular for my frame, but I have since learned that ladies can lift without getting too huge.
irongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Biggest misconception I had was that I could get as big as Tom Platz even without drugs.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

That it would be easy to tighten up the loose skin after losing 150 pounds and look like the advertisements without surgery or other enhancements
Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

That I have to attack a muscle from all angles. That I could take creatine and get swole.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I'm not a body builder, but I thought you could eat whatever you want as long as you worked as hard as you could. Not so. Diet is king.

The word swole makes me chuckle.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

12 weeks to loose the fat, 12 weeks to build the muscle and look like Arnold. Ever wonder why all the miracle products work around 12 weeks?

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I believed that I was squatting low enough...WRONG!
I believed I needed supplements...WRONG!
I believed I'd be huge in a year...WRONG!
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

That as soon as I lifted weights I was a "Bodybuilder"

WRONG

There is so so much more to being a Bodybuilder than the gym time.

If I sew on a button does that make me a seamstress?
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Biggest misconception I had was that I could get as big as Tom Platz even without drugs.
What you say ??!?!?! I wish someone would have told me this sooner, jeesh!

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

The misconceptions I experienced were the misconceptions of other persons around me when I first started.

My wife for example, who knew I had not lifted a weight or personally exercised the previous 20 years (outside of the Army, LEO Basic, O.C.S. Basic training, years earlier), had the belief I was wasting my time to lean down enough to reveal the core because I was far too old, too fat, passed my prime, and simply didn't have the biological ability and physical capability (meaning genetics) at this stage of my life. In addition, she didn't want me that lean if I could get that lean, and wanted me to change my personal goals. My sons thought losing the added 45-50 pounds that had accumulated over the years was going to be extremely difficult for my age, but thought it was a good idea (for health reasons), but wanted me to be more realistic with the end result. The aforementioned misconception premise was also the attitude of friends and other family.

Before I even lifted a weight or made plans with my diet and training, I made use of what is easier to obtain as compared to many years ago: Information and getting educated in what I wanted to do. The more I studied as time when by, the more skeptical I became with the uneducated misconceptions that were all around my life.

Therefore, my bull-sh@t flag went up because the source of the misconceptions were from an uneducated base, and I communicated this with iron clad will. In addition, I told my wife she is to accept me to whom I want to be, want to become, and would have to accept a leaner me, and this was not an option. During this entire time, my wife was getting sicker with her various diseases, I was experiencing major back pain, I was obviously physically declining (even compared to a few years ago) at the then age of 44/45, and something needed to be done, if I was going to be in any condition to physically take care of my wife when she became incapable.

With misconceptions, various opinions, and negativity, all around me, all I had was myself, and I needed to make sure that I put these misconceptions, various opinions, and negativity, in the perception category it needed, to ensure I didn't: Misconceive them--ya' dig? It was they that were deceived.

So, here's my body whom was providing its own misconceptions and truth with declining strength, 45/50 pounds of added fat, man-boobies, and showing its age, sitting in a pool of misconception crap with nearly all persons around me.

However, my "heart" and my "mind" which had given me the "state of being" I needed---did not misconceive any of it.

In all the misconceptions, I learned I had a heart, and it has taught me many lessons:

I am the only author of my heart.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 02-04-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote