Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Newbie - Help needed (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8854)

JordanK91 02-02-2012 08:56 AM

Newbie - Help needed
 
Hi all,

So at the minute my workout is a 4 day split

I generally do 4 sets of 8 or fail, with weights increasing each set.

As it stands its,

CHEST+TRIS
Flat bench (Barbell)
Incline bench (D'bell)
Flat closegrip (Barbell)
Cable flies
Skull crushers/tricep pulldown/dips (2 out of 3)

BACK+BIs
Deadlift
D'bell rows
lat pulldown
Ez bar curls

SHOULDERS
Dumbell shoulder press
Seated side lateral raises
Reverse cable crossovers
Shrugs

LEGS
squats
romanian deadlift
Ab-work

I do a small bit of rowing as warm up most days..

As you can see, its pretty bare. I'm looking for suggestions of exercises to fit in.

As said above, im just a newbie so all info is greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance

BendtheBar 02-02-2012 09:49 AM

Hi Jordan,

Just a couple questions...

--Where do you train? Home or gym?
--What are your primary goals?
--Current height, weight and age?
--How confident are you with your squat and deadlift form?

Disciple X 02-02-2012 09:59 AM

Are you making progress?

The thing that sticks out to me is you're doing 24 sets on chest day and 4 sets on squat day...

I see some room for improvement aka balance... not a bad choice of exercises, but you need some balancing...

JordanK91 02-02-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 213244)
Hi Jordan,

Just a couple questions...

--Where do you train? Home or gym?
--What are your primary goals?
--Current height, weight and age?
--How confident are you with your squat and deadlift form?

I was hoping you'd come in on this :rockon:

I train at my local gym.

I'm looking to be in decent shape for the summer holidays. I need to gain size but also cut back before then.

Im 5 foot 10, 82kg and 20y.o.

Form has improved although there is still room for improvement.. I get to train with Markievicz occasionally and he feeds me with tips

markievicz 02-02-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanK91 (Post 213250)
I was hoping you'd come in on this :rockon:

I train at my local gym.

I'm looking to be in decent shape for the summer holidays. I need to gain size but also cut back before then.

Im 5 foot 10, 82kg and 20y.o.

Form has improved although there is still room for improvement.. I get to train with Markievicz occasionally and he feeds me with tips

which i learn here :)

JordanK91 02-02-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple X (Post 213249)
Are you making progress?

The thing that sticks out to me is you're doing 24 sets on chest day and 4 sets on squat day...

I see some room for improvement aka balance... not a bad choice of exercises, but you need some balancing...

This is where im looking for opinions on exercises I can include.

I definitely need to fill out shoulders and legs routine..

Aurik 02-02-2012 10:06 AM

I'm with Disciple X on this -- your program seems to be slightly unbalanced. For leg day, I'd consider adding in possibly some romanian DL's (to hit the hamstrings & glutes) and maybe 4 sets of front squats or leg press. A bit of abs work on leg day wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Again, not a bad choice of exercises, but try to balance things out a bit.

JordanK91 02-02-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurik (Post 213255)
I'm with Disciple X on this -- your program seems to be slightly unbalanced. For leg day, I'd consider adding in possibly some romanian DL's (to hit the hamstrings & glutes) and maybe 4 sets of front squats or leg press. A bit of abs work on leg day wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Again, not a bad choice of exercises, but try to balance things out a bit.

Thanks,

I had forgotten to include abs.. I generally do that with legs..

Romanian DL added :rockon:

Is there any other exercises I should include that aren't listed?
Particularly on my shoulder day - What exercises would you find best?

Off Road 02-02-2012 10:31 AM

Just a thought, but a push/pull split would be nice. Taking your basic outline and moving just a few exercises around would look like this...

CHEST+TRIS
Flat bench (Barbell)
Incline bench (D'bell)
Flat closegrip (Barbell)
Cable flies

BACK+BIs
Deadlift
D'bell rows
lat pulldown
Ez bar curls

SHOULDERS
Shoulder press
Bar Dips
Skull crushers

LEGS
squats
romanian deadlift
Shrugs
Ab-work

BendtheBar 02-02-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanK91 (Post 213250)
I'm looking to be in decent shape for the summer holidays. I need to gain size but also cut back before then.

Im 5 foot 10, 82kg and 20y.o.

Form has improved although there is still room for improvement.. I get to train with Markievicz occasionally and he feeds me with tips

Good. He has you on the right track with form.

Now to goals...

Size gains take time and will come from a focus on strength gains using primarily the big lifts. So, with that in mind, we need to refine your program a bit.

Before we get to that, let's talk diet. It seems like you want to drop a bit of the extra pudge. A couple of questions...

--Do you know about how many calories you can eat without gaining or losing weight, or is this something foreign to you?
--Do you know how much protein you eat per day?

Programs...

The following one is a good choice.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/ful...tml#post212614

Here are also some good choices: (Some may need tweaks)

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/rea...t-workout.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/rea...d-workout.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/rea...e-workout.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/rea...g-workout.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/rea...t-workout.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/rea...e-program.html


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.