Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
newbzlift
New Brawn
Points: 587, Level: 11 Points: 587, Level: 11 Points: 587, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

newbzlift is off to a bad start
Default Time of day

Does it really matter what time of day I work out? I mean I have heard that it is best to work out in the morning because your muscles are fresh then. To me it sounded stupid but I just thought I would check here with everyone.
newbzlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I prefer to lift after work at around 6-7 o clock when I have the benefits of a whole day of eating behind me.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
IronMaiden
Brawn
Points: 619, Level: 12 Points: 619, Level: 12 Points: 619, Level: 12

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup
Fav Supp: BCAAs and Glutamine
IronMaiden is a consistent contributorIronMaiden is a consistent contributorIronMaiden is a consistent contributorIronMaiden is a consistent contributorIronMaiden is a consistent contributorIronMaiden is a consistent contributorIronMaiden is a consistent contributorIronMaiden is a consistent contributorIronMaiden is a consistent contributorIronMaiden is a consistent contributorIronMaiden is a consistent contributor

I personally prefer a late morning or mid day training session. I've usually had about 2-3 meals but am not run down from a days work. I think it really depends on what you do for work, what body part you are doing, and your personal energy levels! Try a couple different times of day (if you can) and see what works best for you!
It's nearly overpowering
I cannot begin to describe
The hunger that I feel again
Run if you intend to survive
For the beast is coming to life
IronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Mid-mornings or afternoons work best for me. That's when I have my best energy levels.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

I only ever do cardio or freedive practice breathing sessions, first thing in the morning; all weight related workouts are late afternoon to evening. Though, if I'm going to the gym, 11am - 2pm works too.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

It also depends on your goals, too. If your goal is fat loss for example, then working out first thing in the morning is probably preferable than later in the day when you will be burning food instead of fat (depending on your diet and workout routine of course). If your goal is maximum strength, then finding your peak energy time of day is probably best as has been mentioned. If your goal is overall fitness, then it would probably be beneficial to always change up your times to force your body into continual adaptations. Etc. Your goals will be your main driver.

But, scheduling is a huge concern as well unless you are a professional athlete. If you have life issues that make it difficult to find the perfect time to workout any given day, so be it. My personal opinion as a pretty busy person is that whenever you can get to the gym is the best time, and while it might not be the absolute best time for me for that, or any, day, at least I got it done.

Better to have many workouts done at the worst times, than few workouts done at the very best times.

Wasn't that Confucious?
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Beast
Brawn
Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Red meat
Beast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributor

As I understand it....

Cortisol helps break down bodily tissue, whereas Testosterone helps build it.

Testosterone levels are normally highest in the morning (insert witticism here).

However the ratio of testosterone:cortisol is highest:lowest in the evening.

So in the evening time your body may be in a more naturally anabolic state, meaning it is more predisposed to build muscle.

I train at all different times of the day and normally find early morning or late afternoon to be most productive. My best lifts have usually occurred in the afternoon. You may be different though, so experiment with what works.
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Traphouse86
Max Brawn
Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53

Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion!
Training Exp: 6 Years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Muscle Milk & Xtend
Traphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributor

Don't over think it man. Go in gym and smash some weight!!!

"I donít believe that anyone knows what his or her full potential is, I donít believe in genetics as a ceiling for performance, and I donít believe in plateaus." JMB

Proudly Sponsored by http://muscleandbrawn.com/
Traphouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traphouse86 View Post
Don't over think it man. Go in gym and smash some weight!!!
This.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
barnyalifts
New Brawn
Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

barnyalifts is off to a bad start

I think it is a personal preferrence. I like to lift in the morning so I have the rest of my day free.
barnyalifts is offline   Reply With Quote