Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Chameleon
Brawn
Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23 Points: 1,673, Level: 23
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2yrs
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Apple Cider Vinegar
Chameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good start
Default Sylvester Stallone/Arnold Schwarzenegger/Franco Columbu Workout

Guys, this is a link I found;

Sylvester Stallone Work Out

It shows the workout that Stallone followed. I've read numerous articles that state it was Arnold & Franco's workout, albeit a much lower volume workout.

Basically, this is the "craic". I'm out of work for a 2-3 months due to the bad weather we're having here (I'm a builder) & I'm wanting to totally throw myself towards the weights. I'm finding my current 5 x 5 very strenuous on my knees. I'm obviously a novice & would like opinions on the discussion.

Cheers

C
The Mayans never said that 2012 was the end of the world, they said it was the end of the world as we know it. Does this mean the sky will be green & the grass will be blue? Maybe the oceans will turn to beer & the oxygen into marijuana smoke. Or maybe the banking sector will get destroyed & money will therefore be useless, meaning that humans can live as creative individuals with the opportunity to express themselves freely. I truly hope so, as long as I can still play music & lift weights!
Chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Before we get into details, lets talk equipment. Are you lifting at home or at a gym, and are you able to squat and bench without spotters?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Chameleon
Brawn

Chameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good startChameleon is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Before we get into details, lets talk equipment. Are you lifting at home or at a gym, and are you able to squat and bench without spotters?
Working out at home;

Squat Rack
Olympic Barbell & Dumbbells
Power Tower
Hyperextension Bench
Decline Ab Bench
& a Flat Bench also

Yes I can squat & bench without spotters, I'm not going too heavy. 80kg is my top weight in these lifts.

C
The Mayans never said that 2012 was the end of the world, they said it was the end of the world as we know it. Does this mean the sky will be green & the grass will be blue? Maybe the oceans will turn to beer & the oxygen into marijuana smoke. Or maybe the banking sector will get destroyed & money will therefore be useless, meaning that humans can live as creative individuals with the opportunity to express themselves freely. I truly hope so, as long as I can still play music & lift weights!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
I'm not going too heavy. 80kg is my top weight in these lifts.

C
Top weight you have to use, or that you want to use?

Sorry for the questions. Just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Chameleon
Brawn

Quote:
Top weight you have to use, or that you want to use?

Sorry for the questions. Just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly.
Hey man, don't be sorry. I'm sorry for being such a pain in the ass! lol

I did a squat at 90kg, but could only manage a 3/4 squat. I'm sure I could bench 90kg at 1 rep, just.

So I guess, 80kg is a rep I have to use for now???
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

You're not a PITA.

First off, honestly...4 days a week is the max I want you training. Upper/lower split. Don't get down in the dumps, because if interested we will set this up to you won't want to train the other 3 days.

In?

If so, I have some torment coming your way. 20 rep squats, more squats, deadlifts, on and on.

Can you dip at home?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Chameleon
Brawn

Quote:
You're not a PITA.

First off, honestly...4 days a week is the max I want you training. Upper/lower split. Don't get down in the dumps, because if interested we will set this up to you won't want to train the other 3 days.

In?

If so, I have some torment coming your way. 20 rep squats, more squats, deadlifts, on and on.

Can you dip at home?
Yeah man I can dip at home, this is what I have;

Bodymax CF360 Deluxe Power Tower at Powerhouse Fitness

I'm in.

Thank you

C
Old 01-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Good. 2 things you will need to focus on:

1) Progression.
2) Eating enough.

Progression. Most exercises will have a "rep goal". For "Rep goal" exercises use the same weight for each set of the same exercise. Push, but stop a set when your form goes bad or you feel like you will fail on the next rep.

When you can hit the rep goal total for the 3 sets, add weight the next time you perform that lift. For example...bench press. You use 155 pounds and your 3 sets look like:

155 x 8 reps
155 x 6 reps
155 x 5 reps

That's 19 total reps...shy of your rep goal. Next week you perform:

155 x 9 reps
155 x 7 reps
155 x 5 reps

That's 21 reps! Your rep goal was 20. Time to add weight. The key with this workout is to always push yourself on every set (safely with good form), and to always add weight when you hit your rep goals. Let me know if you have any questions.

The Workout. Workout is an upper lower split. Some exercises aren't carved in stone so if you need alternatives for any lift let me know.

Monday - Lower
Squat 3 x 20 rep goal
SLDL 2 x 12-15
Calf Exercise 3 x 30 rep goal
Abs exercise 3 sets

Tuesday - Upper
Military Press Variation 3 x 20 rep goal
Barbell/Pendlay Row 3 x 20 rep goal
Close Grip bench 3 x 20 rep goal
Dumbbell Curl 3 x 25 rep goal
Dips 3 x max

Thursday - Lower
Deadlift 3 ramping sets, 8 rep goal
Squat 1 x 20 reps
Calf Exercise 3 x 30 rep goal
Abs exercise 3 sets

Friday - Upper
Bench Press 3 x 20 rep goal
Pull Ups 3 x max
Arnold Press, Seated DB Press 3 x 20 rep goal
Barbell Curl 3 x 25 rep goal
Dips 3 x max

Deadlifts - when you can perform 8 reps for a set, add weight the next time you work them.
SLDL - Add weight when you can.
20 rep squats - add 15-10 pounds every week.

This is merely a launching point. If others want to add thoughts...

Questions?

Old 01-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Really nice looking routine BtB. Really nice.

The only thing I would change, and it's just a personal preference, is I'd switch rows and chins. I like pairing rows with bench and pairing chins with press. But that's a minor detail...
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote