Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Personal trainer (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8618)

chuckvvv 01-15-2012 02:43 PM

Personal trainer

How many of you started off with a personal trainer when you first started? I do not think I need one since I lifted in high school, but my wife suggested it.

Fire36 01-15-2012 02:46 PM

My personal trainer has been numerous MAB posters, a few select fitness writers and strength coaches. The internet is full of USEFUL information as well as CRAP just like personal trainers. Do yourself a favor and save your money JMO do the research yourself.

angie828 01-15-2012 02:54 PM

I did not use one. I did not feel the need to.

gaspers04 01-15-2012 03:21 PM

I am my own personal trainer, a bad one though. I want my money back...lol

Rich Knapp 01-15-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckvvv (Post 207861)
How many of you started off with a personal trainer when you first started? I do not think I need one since I lifted in high school, but my wife suggested it.

I'm my own trainer also.
IF you go with one I recommend going with one at a personal studio that has good credentials, then talk to past clients with goals the same as your also.

5kgLifter 01-15-2012 03:38 PM

Never lifted before and didn't use a personal trainer, just read plenty and watched vids on form as well as learned as I went along...still learning and tweaking as necessary.

Off Road 01-15-2012 04:10 PM

I started working out by myself and continue to workout by myself to this day.

bamazav 01-15-2012 09:49 PM

Self taught, got a cheap certification and now I get to hear other people tell me, " you don't know what you are talking about, I don't want to squat, I want to ride that little bike thingy."

bruteforce 01-15-2012 09:53 PM

I worked with a personal trainer when I first began since I had never before set foot in a gym. I was immediately taught all the wrong techniques and have spent the last 18 months unlearning them.

Muscletrainerdh 01-16-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckvvv (Post 207861)

Well I guess it depends on how long ago it was that you "Lifted in High School" and what that actually entailed. Most of us in high school just benched and did curls for the girls and didn't have an f-ing clue about program design and what it took to see results or reach a goal.

There have been several advances in exercise science and program design, so if high school was before 1997, and all you did was follow routines in Muscle and Fitness and Flex magazines, then I'd recommend it.

But as the others have mentioned, find one that has multiple certifications, possibly a college degree in exercise science, and a reference list of successful clients with similar goals to your own.

And in full disclosure, yes I am a personal trainer. :D

Good Luck,

Dave