Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
tchronbon
Brawn
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

tchronbon is off to a bad start
Lightbulb Looking for a workout routine

Hi im 17 and i weigh 120 i am looking to bulk up in muscle and be really cut at the same time so if anyone can set me up a workout routine and help with a diet that would be amazing!!! I will tell you anything else you need to know about me to help you set it up THANKS!
tchronbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

you should look into starting strength. let me know if you're interested.

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
tchronbon
Brawn
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1

tchronbon is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
you should look into starting strength. let me know if you're interested.

Sure im interested in all that might help
tchronbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
tank
Max Brawn

tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchronbon View Post
Sure im interested in all that might help
alright, cool. honestly, i'm glad you are interested because i believe starting strength is the best program with which to start training as a novice lifter.

i'm going to start by saying that you need to understand these few things about your goals and training:

1) being cut and building muscle are really 2 unique goals and that require individual effort. yes, you can lose fat while building muscle, but it will be at the expense of maximal muscle gain because you need a calorie surplus to build muscle, and a deficit to lose fat. simple right?

2) whether your goal is to build raw strength or to gain pounds of muscle, a foundation of strength is important to build FIRST, so that you can lift much heavier weights for many repetitions. i.e. squatting 250 lbs for 3 sets of 12 will put on muscle more efficiently than squatting 135 lbs for 3 sets of 12. also simple.

at 120 pounds, it is my opinion that you need not concern yourself AT ALL with being "cut" and/or losing any weight. how tall are you by the way? this will give us an idea of how much weight you can hope to GAIN.

what kind of equipment do you have access to? starting strength would require a squat rack, barbell, and weights.

let us know this info and we'll go from there.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Fire36
Nozzle Jockey
Max Brawn
Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29 Points: 2,397, Level: 29

Fire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributorFire36 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
alright, cool. honestly, i'm glad you are interested because i believe starting strength is the best program with which to start training as a novice lifter.

i'm going to start by saying that you need to understand these few things about your goals and training:

1) being cut and building muscle are really 2 unique goals and that require individual effort. yes, you can lose fat while building muscle, but it will be at the expense of maximal muscle gain because you need a calorie surplus to build muscle, and a deficit to lose fat. simple right?

2) whether your goal is to build raw strength or to gain pounds of muscle, a foundation of strength is important to build FIRST, so that you can lift much heavier weights for many repetitions. i.e. squatting 250 lbs for 3 sets of 12 will put on muscle more efficiently than squatting 135 lbs for 3 sets of 12. also simple.

at 120 pounds, it is my opinion that you need not concern yourself AT ALL with being "cut" and/or losing any weight. how tall are you by the way? this will give us an idea of how much weight you can hope to GAIN.

what kind of equipment do you have access to? starting strength would require a squat rack, barbell, and weights.

let us know this info and we'll go from there.
True dat^,

Also check out the writings of Jason Ferruggia, strength and conditioning coach is who well respected. He writes plenty about the "skinny hardgainers because he was one"
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

For lifting, I'd start by reading and learning from these articles...
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/ful...on-thread.html
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
jasonjduke
Brawn
Points: 1,436, Level: 21 Points: 1,436, Level: 21 Points: 1,436, Level: 21
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

jasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributor

Plan for progression and grow into the weight on the bar.

To stay cut eat beans and whole grains. Avoid white flour and candy and juices as these are the culprits that make you soft in the belly and head.

Go for 8-12 reps if you want to go for the muscle build.

Squat
Bench
Row

Eat

Sleep

Repeat

After 3-4 months do 20 rep breathing squats like your life depended on it. Actually start light and work into the weight. This will kick your butt into the floor real easy. Work into the high reps squats.

An old school guy named Peary Rader was 120 pounds with elbows bigger than his biceps and knees bigger than his thighs. He did those 20 reppers and grew like a weed and put 100 pounds on 2 years and won several weightlifting competitions.

He was the one who founded the Iron Man mag.

Last edited by jasonjduke; 01-14-2012 at 10:53 PM.
jasonjduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
tank
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjduke View Post
Plan for progression and grow into the weight on the bar.

To stay cut eat beans and whole grains. Avoid white flour and candy and juices as these are the culprits that make you soft in the belly and head.

Go for 8-12 reps if you want to go for the muscle build.

Squat
Bench
Row

Eat

Sleep

Repeat

After 3-4 months do 20 rep breathing squats like your life depended on it. Actually start light and work into the weight. This will kick your butt into the floor real easy. Work into the high reps squats.

An old school guy named Perry Rader was 120 pounds with elbows bigger than his biceps and knees bigger than his thighs. He did those 20 reppers and grew like a weed and put 100 pounds on 2 years and won several weightlifting competitions.

He was the one who founded the Iron Man mag.
while i don't agree exactly with all of this, i felt the need to mention that this post has something special about it. i won't ruin it by trying to describe it.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
jasonjduke
Brawn
Points: 1,436, Level: 21 Points: 1,436, Level: 21 Points: 1,436, Level: 21
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

jasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributor

Quote:
while i don't agree exactly with all of this, i felt the need to mention that this post has something special about it. i won't ruin it by trying to describe it.
Interesting reply for plain simple advice and a story of a legend that has been passed down over the years. No need to agree or disagree. Ruin it?

My time here has come and gone...
jasonjduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
this post has something special about it. i won't ruin it by trying to describe it.
That was kind of cryptic. Did you like it? Not like it?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote