Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Zipz
New Brawn
Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Zipz is off to a bad start
Default Olympic and bodyweight workout only

I have been thinking about doing a fullbody workout that involves only Olympic and bodyweight lifts. I like this style of training and would like to stick with it. What I was wondering is if in the process of using these exercises if I would also build muscle. My program would consists of pullups, dips, chinups, overhead squats, front squats, cleans, snatches and a few other variations.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipz View Post
I have been thinking about doing a fullbody workout that involves only Olympic and bodyweight lifts. I like this style of training and would like to stick with it. What I was wondering is if in the process of using these exercises if I would also build muscle. My program would consists of pullups, dips, chinups, overhead squats, front squats, cleans, snatches and a few other variations.
You would absolutely build muscle too as long as youre going for progression of weight and reps. What you describe is a great way of training!

Pull on this forum are doing alot of this stuff and i would reccomend you to check out his log to get ideas or tips.

I would also suggest that you do regular back squats, since its a great overall muscle builder.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I also think you'll be missing out if you leave out back squats and dead lifts. Olympic lifters still do those lifts plenty and they'll only help your olympin lifts if you program it well.

Other than that, hell yeah you can build muscle. Honestly, no one needs many more upper body movements than what you listed. If people did a lot more dips, pushups, chins, and pullups instead of smith machine bench presses, pull downs and curls then they'd be WAY better off.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

There is always...

York Course No. 3 (The Repetition Weightlifting Course)

1. One Arm Repetition Jerk with Barbell
2. One Arm Snatch with Barbell
3. Two Arm Press
4. Deep Knee Bend (on flat feet)
5. Holding Barbell Overhead with One Hand, Squat to Low Position (i.e., One hand Overhead Squats)
6. High Pull (to belt height)
7. Press Behind Neck
8. Two Arm Dead-Hang Snatch
9. Two Hand Jerk
10. Two Hand Dead-Hang Clean
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote