Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Which body part to work first? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8442)

8pack 01-02-2012 02:31 PM

Which body part to work first?

I have decided I need a major change in my life and I want to better myself. So I am starting on here looking for advice to get that way. I have never lifted before. I was wondering if there was one part of the body I should work first. I need help with my entire body. I want to look like some of you guys on here. Where do I start?

Off Road 01-02-2012 02:35 PM

Start with the biggest lifts first.
So...Start with Squats!!!

Chillen 01-02-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8pack (Post 203270)
I have decided I need a major change in my life and I want to better myself. So I am starting on here looking for advice to get that way. I have never lifted before. I was wondering if there was one part of the body I should work first. I need help with my entire body. I want to look like some of you guys on here. Where do I start?

I recommend starting a journal, and posting your personal information there, and what your personal goals are. In addition, you may want to list what you have to train with, and whether you have access to a gym, and then we can narrow down the answer more thoroughly for you. IMO, there isn't any right answer, until such time some personal questions are answered.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Best regards,

Chillen

5kgLifter 01-02-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8pack (Post 203270)

No, not really; work the entire body as one unit.

Shadowschmadow 01-02-2012 03:45 PM

Training individual muscles when first starting out is something that is commonly done, and completely unnecessary. Look into full body programs that you are capable of doing, even if they require you learning a new exercise. Since you're new to this, I suppose they're all "new" exercises. :)

A very popular beginner program is Starting Strength, aka SS. Its very simple, effective and will open the door for you to go in just about any direction. Its full body, and well balanced. Though it doesn't have isolated arm exercises, your arms are being effectively worked, and are worked with more load than you can handle with a dumbbell.

Read:
The Workouts Recommended for Strength Training | Starting strength training
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

I'd recommend following them in the order the 1st link has them in. After your first couple workouts, an explanation as to their order will become unnecessary. I promise. ;)

Shadowschmadow 01-02-2012 03:59 PM

Due to timing, and nothing else, I would assume this is a New Years resolution of yours. Nothing wrong with that, but being someone who has trained for years, we see the gyms get packed this time of year. Most never come back after 1-2 sessions, but the gym always dies back down around 2-3 weeks.

If this is something you really want, then make sure you don't let it slip away. Dedication is the only thing that will really promote change.

TitanCT 01-02-2012 05:36 PM

Real men do legs on monday..just sayin

TitanCT 01-02-2012 05:37 PM

Oh yeah..its resolutionist hunting season at the gyms now...brb packing my sledgehammer, chainsaw, and axe.

bruteforce 01-02-2012 05:51 PM

Congrats on taking the first steps towards building a stronger body and improving your quality of life. I like to make my first movement of the day use the maximum amount of muscles I can, so I tend to start with squats or deadlifts. Lately I've been using power cleans immediately before squats to get myself primed and ready to lift.

So in terms of body parts I lead with, its always a legs+back lift first. These parts can handle a lot of punishment, so don't worry about pushing them too hard.

TitanCT 01-02-2012 05:53 PM

I dont do back until thursday and my legs are still wobbly from being tortured monday...