Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
8pack
New Brawn
Points: 181, Level: 3 Points: 181, Level: 3 Points: 181, Level: 3
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

8pack is off to a bad start
Default Which body part to work first?

I have decided I need a major change in my life and I want to better myself. So I am starting on here looking for advice to get that way. I have never lifted before. I was wondering if there was one part of the body I should work first. I need help with my entire body. I want to look like some of you guys on here. Where do I start?
8pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Start with the biggest lifts first.
So...Start with Squats!!!
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pack View Post
I have decided I need a major change in my life and I want to better myself. So I am starting on here looking for advice to get that way. I have never lifted before. I was wondering if there was one part of the body I should work first. I need help with my entire body. I want to look like some of you guys on here. Where do I start?
I recommend starting a journal, and posting your personal information there, and what your personal goals are. In addition, you may want to list what you have to train with, and whether you have access to a gym, and then we can narrow down the answer more thoroughly for you. IMO, there isn't any right answer, until such time some personal questions are answered.

Welcome to the forum.

Best regards,

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pack View Post
No, not really; work the entire body as one unit.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Training individual muscles when first starting out is something that is commonly done, and completely unnecessary. Look into full body programs that you are capable of doing, even if they require you learning a new exercise. Since you're new to this, I suppose they're all "new" exercises.

A very popular beginner program is Starting Strength, aka SS. Its very simple, effective and will open the door for you to go in just about any direction. Its full body, and well balanced. Though it doesn't have isolated arm exercises, your arms are being effectively worked, and are worked with more load than you can handle with a dumbbell.

Read:
The Workouts Recommended for Strength Training | Starting strength training
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

I'd recommend following them in the order the 1st link has them in. After your first couple workouts, an explanation as to their order will become unnecessary. I promise.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Due to timing, and nothing else, I would assume this is a New Years resolution of yours. Nothing wrong with that, but being someone who has trained for years, we see the gyms get packed this time of year. Most never come back after 1-2 sessions, but the gym always dies back down around 2-3 weeks.

If this is something you really want, then make sure you don't let it slip away. Dedication is the only thing that will really promote change.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Real men do legs on monday..just sayin
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Oh yeah..its resolutionist hunting season at the gyms now...brb packing my sledgehammer, chainsaw, and axe.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Congrats on taking the first steps towards building a stronger body and improving your quality of life. I like to make my first movement of the day use the maximum amount of muscles I can, so I tend to start with squats or deadlifts. Lately I've been using power cleans immediately before squats to get myself primed and ready to lift.

So in terms of body parts I lead with, its always a legs+back lift first. These parts can handle a lot of punishment, so don't worry about pushing them too hard.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn

I dont do back until thursday and my legs are still wobbly from being tortured monday...