Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member
Default People relate Bodybuilding" to IFBB right away.

Someone says bodybuilding and people think about NPC and IFBB right off the bat. If you like drug free bodybuilding check out one of these feds.

Here is a list of NATURAL Feds.

There is more also. Don't just think NPC/IFBB and drop it or put all bodybuilders into one group of the freaky big (NPC/IFBB style) please. Thank you much.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Someone says bodybuilding and people think about NPC and IFBB right off the bat.
I didn't know there was natural bodybuilding until the early 2000's.

We've talked about this before. People will rip on the big guys but if you present them with realistic standards they will whine that they are being limited. Either way natural bodybuilding seems to get ignored or not taken seriously.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

If anyone is interested in exploring more about the sport of natural bodybuilding, I have spent a good portion of my time the last 2 years interviewing and filming some of the top names in the sport.

The following links provide a wealth of information that mostly gets ignored for various reasons:

My audio interviews:

--Doug Miller
--Team Scivation
--RJ Perkins
--Brad Borland
--George Greene

My profiles of natural bodybuilders:

-- http://www.muscleandstrength.com/nat...ybuilders.html

My interviews with natural athletes:

-- http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...nterviews.html

Some video work I shot with top bodybuilders:

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Rich, maybe you could clarify something concerning natty vs non-natty BBers..

I've heard that natty BBers get tested, but only nearing or after a competition. Therefore, one could technically juice up for weeks or months, depending on the compound or juice he was using, and then still have it out of the system before test day for the show. So a "natty" BBer could actually be juicy, but only when he knows he is safe from a drug test. - Whereas a non-natty BBer would just keep using however and whenever because the testing is non-existent or a joke.

Not to say you or any other natty BBer are using that method, but it is of some concern to be certain natty really means natty, not just a cover up title.. And also, what about someone who juices for years to a competing size overall, then decides to go clean, and have an already huge base to work with? Does natty mean for life, or just currently?

I'm actually more of a powerlifting fan, than a BBer fan..so I haven't really ever given too much thought. I really don't care if someone wants to juice up either, it's their body.

What is your opinion on this, somewhat controversial view of the subject?
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I don't want to answer this for Rich but I will say that when it comes to powerlifting and bodybuilding, some feds drug test and polygraph, some drug test, and some say they drug test but throw the tests away because they don't really want to spend the cash.

I have talked to my share of promoters from both sports and know that with some federations the drug testing is merely a smoke screen. My only point is that for a true natty who wants to compete, they should talk to other experienced athletes like Rich before deciding on a federation.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Just to add a little most natty comps have a 7yr drug free policy so in the question of lifetime drug free........NO you would not have to be. So in a sense you could build a base much beyond the natural limits and go clean for years and compete in a natural show. Also i don't want to slight the natty field it all, i competed in it myself but the polygraph thing i think is a joke. I was specifically asked if i knowingly took anything on the banned substance list and i said NO. That answer was a lie. I had done a prohormone cycle before i knew anything about natural bodybuilding and its list of banned substances. Now my one cycle i did gave me no advantage and i walked into my show under 155lbs but i stood right next a man that was over 200 in my class. Now was he natural.........i seriously doubt it. On the positive side of that i think he place 7th or 8th and i placed 2nd. I think the judges know what they are looking for in the beginner and novice classes. I think when it gets to the higher levels in competition is when it gets shady. Now Rich can correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the Pro level is not subject to polygraph in all of the natural federations, just a urine test is done on the winners so it would be possible to take a banned substance for a time in the year and then have it clear the system and pass. I don't believe it to be wide spread but i believe it is happening to some degree. I don't think everyone of them is completely honest.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Muscletrainerdh
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: DB Step Ups.. LOL:)
Fav Supp: F.O.O.D
Muscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributor

Why are there so many federations?

I mean in other sports there's what 1 or 2 conferences or leagues (except college level I guess).

What compels someone to belong to one federation or the other?

Sarcasm and Cynicism are not helpful or attractive traits, respond to posts as you wish to be responded to.
Muscletrainerdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscletrainerdh View Post
Why are there so many federations?

I mean in other sports there's what 1 or 2 conferences or leagues (except college level I guess).

What compels someone to belong to one federation or the other?
In the big federations there are differences of opinion over minor issues/substances, but one of the primary reasons for all the federations is simply due to region.

There are probably 40-50 different federations in the US along for both powerlifting and bodybuilding.

Also, there is no big media outlet/company in control of either sport...no big cash, lots of minor feds.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Most of them are determined by areas. East coast, West coast, North, South that sort of thing. So the federation you belong to is often times determined by where you compete. At the higher level it is more limited on federations you just need to compete in a recognized smaller fed and win a card to reach PRO level.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
Rich, maybe you could clarify something concerning natty vs non-natty BBers..

I've heard that natty BBers get tested, but only nearing or after a competition. Therefore, one could technically juice up for weeks or months, depending on the compound or juice he was using, and then still have it out of the system before test day for the show. So a "natty" BBer could actually be juicy, but only when he knows he is safe from a drug test. - Whereas a non-natty BBer would just keep using however and whenever because the testing is non-existent or a joke.

Not to say you or any other natty BBer are using that method, but it is of some concern to be certain natty really means natty, not just a cover up title.. And also, what about someone who juices for years to a competing size overall, then decides to go clean, and have an already huge base to work with? Does natty mean for life, or just currently?

I'm actually more of a powerlifting fan, than a BBer fan..so I haven't really ever given too much thought. I really don't care if someone wants to juice up either, it's their body.

What is your opinion on this, somewhat controversial view of the subject?
I can't speek for other feds but I get a polly test pre show every show, show class winners always get a piss test.(WNBF/INBF)
WNBF piss tests are also random threw the year.

For me AAEFX can also send me in any time for a piss test.

There are some small fed that are drug free for life, but almost all are for 7 years drug free with a variation on there band lists. It's been shown after 7 years any benefits are gone. WNBF is the strictest fed for naturals.

INBF/WNBF is 7 years drug free. Get cought your "Band" for 7 years. Drug free covers a lot more than just roids, way more. There are things you can buy at GNC I can't take. I have to be 1/2 science major to know what I can and can't take.
Here is there list:
WNBF - Banned Substances

I don't care if a person uses or not. Its there choice. I only feel if you do then compete against others that do. If you use and compete against people that don't and don't get caught it just shows your to scared of loosing going up against people in your class. What does that say about there character?
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote