Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member
Default Good read for the serous Bodybuilder.

3DMUSCLEJOURNEY - Science Blog - December 2011
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

My take-away from the article...

"With that said, dedicated bulking and cutting phases are almost always the necessary resort once trainees make it past the beginning and intermediate stages and still want to push the envelope. The direction taken has to be very specific, whether it's gaining muscle or losing fat."
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
My take-away from the article...

"With that said, dedicated bulking and cutting phases are almost always the necessary resort once trainees make it past the beginning and intermediate stages and still want to push the envelope. The direction taken has to be very specific, whether it's gaining muscle or losing fat."

He is a wealth of info.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Great Article Rich. I was reading on Berardi's site last night and noticed a similar vein of thought. Exercise is important but nutrition should come first. Aragon is one of my favorite nutrition dudes.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

Quote:
On the forefront of bodybuilding, I'm ironically witnessing a sort of reversion to the basic basic stuff rather than a technological thrust forward. Nutrition-wise, much of the typically imposed intricacies of nutrient timing, supplementation, nutrient cycling, etc., are neither necessary nor beneficial compared to the boring, fundamental broad strokes.
Statements like this will be misunderstood by so many people looking to build muscle. I understand what he's saying but 95% have no reading comprehension and use quotes like this to back their current sub-par approach.
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWIP View Post
Statements like this will be misunderstood by so many people looking to build muscle. I understand what he's saying but 95% have no reading comprehension and use quotes like this to back their current sub-par approach.
Notice the title "Good read for the serous Bodybuilder" these people will know what he is saying.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
jasonjduke
Brawn
Points: 1,436, Level: 21 Points: 1,436, Level: 21 Points: 1,436, Level: 21
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

jasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributorjasonjduke is a consistent contributor

I liked it Rich. I don't care much for dogmatism, but Alan seems to have a grip on the fact that if it (program) is working keep doing it and if it ain't - stop and change it up.

This is a very nice statement that he says:
"Hypertrophy is something that can be achieved with pretty much any intensity of load, as long as the work is progressive. However, the far ends of the spectrum (super low reps and super high reps) make this process far less efficient."

I could take it further from my own experience and agree - progressive planning truly is key to hypertrophy. I realized this when I did a "beginner" with light weights of 12-15 reps for 3 months and then dropped the reps to 8 per set and jumped the weight - blam, I experienced textbook hypertrophy. He says that super low and super high reps make the process of hypertrophy less efficient. I would say that if one could "boomerang" out of super low or high reps with progressive programming than one may actually coax the hypertrophy process for even better gains.

As for his comments on bulking and cutting - perfect. Only the advanced trainee should even consider doing phases of these sorts. I like how he came up with the "culking" term for those newbie folks who constantly bother with all the excess bull of such things (really everything) instead of just putting an honest to goodness effort forth through the principles of proper programming protocols of progressive resistance. What I mean to say is that if you can train and eat properly, bulking and cutting actually become unnecessary.

Last edited by jasonjduke; 12-29-2011 at 01:46 PM.
jasonjduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjduke View Post
What I mean to say is that if you can train and eat properly bulking and cutting actually becomes unnecessary.
True.

Pulling someone away from OCD rabbit holes in both the training and dieting realm is the biggest challenge. The average young lifter on any forum is not training hard enough on the basics, is overtraining ineffective exercises, and there is a good chance they are undereating. I see this frequently where a lifter 20 years old is eating 2300 daily calories based on some random BMR calculation.

Common sense is devalued, hard work is minimized, and the focus is almost completely on finding some magical, mystical combination of macronutrients and training exercises/split/sets.

Obviously most of the young trainees can't help it, as this is the information they are supplied.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-29-2011 at 01:59 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

And then you give reliable information to help them and they call you a "Crazy Old Coot."
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
And then you give reliable information to help them and they call you a "Crazy Old Coot."

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote