Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
wannebe91
New Brawn
Points: 213, Level: 4 Points: 213, Level: 4 Points: 213, Level: 4
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

wannebe91 is off to a bad start
Default Pain in knee

When I squat, I get a pain in my knee. Often a sharp one. Not happening all the time but enough to hurt. Somedays worse then others. Anyone know what is going on? It is like the pain is right behind my knee cap.
wannebe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Sounds like what I felt last night. I think mine was caused by using too wide a stance and having less hip flexibility than my Grandad. My knees are trying to compensate for the lack of hip flexibility and where I have Osgood Schlatters in my left knee, it's still slightly weak and folds in.

This is of course all conjecture as I am far from a qualified medical professional.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Best to see a doctor about pain, and post a video so we can check your squat form.

I used to get knee pain from squatting because I was using poor form; trying to go straight down and straight up again. I introduced a box to cue me to sit back more and use my hips and posterior more. No more knee pain.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

The less severe knee injuries are usually straight forward and for the most part easy to diagnose (compared to say, shoulders). Take a look at the link below and see if you can narrow the issue down if for no other reason to have an idea of what your dealing with.

Knee Pain

In the mean time, considering using small doses of anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen) before and after training. If you haven't already, pick up a pair of knee sleeves, these will help keep the knee warm (can help a lot) or light wraps such as ace bandages if you think its a knee-tracking issue --- I use ace bandages to keep my left knee "inline" and provide a little warmth when pain creeps in from time to time.

Another thing that has helped a lot of people I've come across with knee pain; make sure you staying on your heels during both the descent and ascent. Coming onto the front of the foot puts a lot of pressure on the knees.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote