Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Do you have a workout buddy? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8252)

seth78 12-16-2011 10:29 PM

Do you have a workout buddy?

I work out with my friend a few times a week. I find it helpful to have him there as we can spot eachother. Who on here has a buddy for weight lifting?

Off Road 12-16-2011 10:48 PM

My 10 year old son is my workout buddy. We don't lift together, but we push eachother through our individual workouts.

mab54 12-16-2011 11:40 PM

Have never had one when lifting, but back when I boxed whenever I had a partner I was distracted and talked to him the entire time. I feel much more focused when by myself.

5kgLifter 12-17-2011 07:02 AM

No workout buddy, I think I would find it a distraction like Mab54 did; I like to get on with my workout and be focussed on what I'm doing each minute of the workout.

Jesda 12-17-2011 11:38 AM

No not for now. I just started and was not sure if it would be good for me or not. Maybe once I get better I will get one.

Hazzard 12-17-2011 11:54 AM

Definitely yes, I struggle without one. I'm a firm believer of havign fun and banter between sets and focusing on the intensity during them. Doing the latter throughout training can be physically and mentally exhausting, especially with such long rest periods that come assoctiated with powerlifting. I really enjoy training in a team from both a support and safety standpoint. Means you can and will push yourself harder, at least from my point of view.

ricka182 12-17-2011 12:58 PM

If I'm lifting heavy or maxing and need a spotter, I find it easier to have someone I know, versus asking some random gym person. That way I know they can support the weight I'm moving, and it won't be dropped on me if I need the help.

But for my standard lifting schedule, I prefer to lift alone. Less distraction, less time wasted, less criticism to give and take.

tank 12-17-2011 01:31 PM

i lift alone due to circumstance.

someday i hope to have a dedicated power lifting partner that competes, too.

emekajokammor 12-17-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricka182 (Post 198868)
If I'm lifting heavy or maxing and need a spotter, I find it easier to have someone I know, versus asking some random gym person. That way I know they can support the weight I'm moving, and it won't be dropped on me if I need the help.

But for my standard lifting schedule, I prefer to lift alone. Less distraction, less time wasted, less criticism to give and take.

Feel that same exact way. Although i do train with a crew, and we all compete so it's a lot easier to get work done without the external stimuli.

But somedays i end up training alone and i try to take full advantage...

dmaipa 12-17-2011 01:51 PM

i got a wrecking crew i train with