Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
wimpy
New Brawn
Points: 443, Level: 8 Points: 443, Level: 8 Points: 443, Level: 8
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

wimpy is off to a bad start
Default Expensive

I have found this whole thing of body building to be very expensive. I know it is worth it but I was just wondering what you can give me for tips to not spend as much. What have you done to make your spending less for your body but yet still give it the same great results?
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

What do you find yourself spending money on?

Apart from a gym membership and gym clothes, I can't think of anything else which is deemed essential.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

It can get very expensive if you spend a lot of money on supplements and real low fat cuts of meat.

I save cash at the grocery store by purchasing chicken legs and thighs instead of breasts, and I avoid the artificially derived low fat cuts of meat. That's my only plan.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Yeah, I'm pretty lost here... If you somehow got the notion that a ton of supplements and crap were needed to get jakt, tan and sexy then... Well... WTF have you been reading because everything we discuss here is quite the opposite.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Supps can kill your budget overnight for sure. Solid food is your best supp, without a doubt. You can take 100 pills a day, and if you don't eat, you won't grow.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Chicken leg and thigh quarters are great on the grill or just about anywhere else, and you can often pick them up for $.59 a pound on sale. I buy my ground beef in bulk (80-100 pounds at a time) and it saves me $.60 a pound. Whole chickens are a good investment too, and buy bone in as it gives MUCH better flavor. I only use boneless skinless breasts if I know I'm going to be short on time that night.

For me, the most expensive part about lifting is the gas money for driving to the gym. As soon as I get a place big enough, I'll be investing in my own setup, which will save thousands in the long run.
bruteforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
Jamesw
Brawn
Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: plyo pistol
Jamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributor

Fitness is free my friend. You just have to know where to look and how to apply the principles.
"When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character." -Henry Rollins
Jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

If you're on a tight budget, you've got to start thinking "where can I get the most bang for my buck?" If you're fairly new to the fitness world, you'll get your most bang for your buck out of a gym membership, a beginner's program that focuses on the simple compound lifts and progression, and good honest nutrition.

If you're trying to gain weight, focus on eating more than you're used to, and try to get the majority of your calories from good wholesome calorie and nutrient-dense food. Protein shakes and weight gainer shakes and most supplements aren't needed if you're eating right and enough. The only real supplement you *need* is a good multivitamin. If you're like I am and you're ravenous after a workout, then you might go with an inexpensive protein shake after a workout. Other than that... get your calories from food when you can... and one of the cheapest sources of good, quality calories is (don't laugh) good old whole milk.
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Dips and pull ups are free at the local park. Pulling a tire up a hill with a rope shouldn't cost too much. After that it's pretty much just food.

But seriously, my gym membership is $110/year. I buy supps, but would be perfectly happy not using them if I couldn't afford them. I even have nice gym clothes that I don't really need.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

everyone brings up a great point, exactly what are you spending money on?

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote