Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default chin ups vs pull ups muscles worked ?

is it true that pull ups place far more emphasis on the upper back while chin ups put much more stress on the biceps ?

I just use chin ups on starting strength but in retrospect it sounds like I should of gone with the pull ups
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Chin ups do function more like a bicep curl than pull ups, but still involve a lot of the upper back.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Jamesw
Brawn
Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: plyo pistol
Jamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributor

For best results do them both, also do the wide grip pull up.
"When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character." -Henry Rollins
Jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

The lat and other back muscles serve a number of purposes. They pull the elbows back but also pull them down towards your sides. Put your arms straight over your head and lower them to either side. Now do the same thing, starting with your arms straight over your head again, but this time lower them by bringing them down in front of you and ending up with them at your sides. The starting position and end position is the same, but if each movement was performed with resistance then different muscles would be incorporated.

Some people think that the only difference between chin ups and pull ups is the way your hands face. This isn't the case. When you do a chin up with a close grip, you are pulling your arms down in front of you, and when you do a pull up with a wider grip you are pulling your arms down to the outside. These are as different as either is to a row, and should be treated as such.

Chin ups are usually easier to do, so people avoid wide grip pull ups and only do chins. This is like saying that bench presses are easier than overhead presses, so you should just bench.

Remember that if you point your palms away from you but still have a close grip and pull your arms in front of you, all you are doing is a modified chin up. If you want to do a pull up then widen your grip, pull your elbows out to your sides and squeeze hard once you can't pull yourself up anymore. You'll be surprised at how many you'll be able to do when you aren't worried about how close to the bar you get.

Last edited by Soldier; 12-14-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Zipz
New Brawn
Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Zipz is off to a bad start

what if I can't do them what should I do
Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipz View Post
Band assisted chin-ups are a good place to start.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipz View Post
If you train with someone, have them hold your feet, but DON'T have them lift you up and down. They just hold your feet and you choose how much help to give youself using your legs.

If you're at the gym then take an adjustable bench and adjust it so the top of the back of the bench is about where your knees are when you do a pull up. Now position the bench about 1-2' behind where you'll be hanging. When you do your pullups, put the tops of your feet or ankles on the top of the bench and assist yourself just like you would if you were getting a spot like the example above.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
. You'll be surprised at how many you'll be able to do when you aren't worried about how close to the bar you get.
So you're saying a full pull-up doesn't require the bar to go below the chin? Just pull until arms hit the sides?

Interesting, I always tried to go above the bar regardless of which direction my palms were facing. I also rarely do palms facing in, and prefer a good wide overhand grip, for both pull-ups and lat pulldowns. Although, on a low-row machine, I prefer a narrow hammer grip bar..
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum

Do are full pullups good or bad?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
Do are full pullups good or bad?
Huh?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote