Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
And that's balls to the walls, all out, 1 time kind of effort.
Thats every set for me

Everybody is different. I will say that for bodybuilding, which is what the op is asking about, it shouldnt take near as long. If you're doing more than an hour of "dense" training, with drop sets, supersets, etc. you're an animal.

I do mostly compound exercises. If i jump straight from bench to push presses without an "extended rest period" i'm not going to move as much weight as i possibly can. Thats my goal. It works for me...

Also, at a powerlifting competition, you do a total of 9 lifts that count over the course of several hours/ half a day... theres a lot of time between attempts, usually 10-20 min or more, depending on how many lifters are there. Its all about what your goal is and how your body reacts to different stimulus. I've done 1 hour body building sessions and i've done 2 hour powerlifting sessions. The longer sessions i've adopted have done so much more for my strength. I've put over 25 lb on my paused bench in the past few months and my upper sessions almost always take 2 hours+

I've adopted the mentality of give anything a try and see what happens... some things have been successes and some have been epic fails.
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My rule is this...if you can't destroy yourself in an hour, don't train longer.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

there has been research that shows higher volume workouts in fact do increase serum testosterone but after a 45 -60 minutes of resistance training T-levels quickly decrease. But this is towards routines that are much higher in volume compared to strength programs which prescribe a much longer rest period in between sets.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

so to continue and being a little more blunt...for all the young yahoos who are in the gym for 2hours scratching their balls and doing every exercise in the book..you are more just taking up space and wasting your time..get in and get out and you will grow!

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #15
Jamesw
Brawn
Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: plyo pistol
Jamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributor

I work out at home, but I have worked at a couple big box gyms. It reminds me of the bar. basically social hour, I could never work out in a gym. I never have and I never will.

The gym is strictly for clients not for me.
"When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character." -Henry Rollins
Jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #16
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple X View Post
Thats every set for me

Everybody is different. I will say that for bodybuilding, which is what the op is asking about, it shouldnt take near as long. If you're doing more than an hour of "dense" training, with drop sets, supersets, etc. you're an animal.

I do mostly compound exercises. If i jump straight from bench to push presses without an "extended rest period" i'm not going to move as much weight as i possibly can. Thats my goal. It works for me...
I agree that everyone is different, and some of us require longer breaks than others. However, I'm not a bodybuilder and my workout doesn't consist of a ton of isolations, so you're not winning me over with the compound exercise bit. When I go to the gym, I don't go there to put in a half-assed effort, so I can relate to the all-out intensity of training.

And if you jump straight into PP after BP you're going to need an extended break because having those two exercises back to back causes fatigue carry-over. Poorly thought out IMHO, and I don't mean that offensively, but if you want to go all out then you need to give those muscles some down time. And down time doesn't mean sitting, but choosing other exercises that don't utilize relatively the same muscle groups.

Honestly man, I can't see any possible reason why it should take anyone 3 hours to workout. But to each his own I guess, so if that's what works for you and you're seeing the results you want from it, then by all means.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #17
Disciple X
Max Brawn

Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

I'm obviously the lone ranger on this topic. Lol. But my poor programing and entirely too long rest periods have done me well... i hitt a 205x2 push press 325 x 3 paused bench, and a 405 raw squat within the last two weeks or so, all of which were huge PRs. All my workouts are 2 hr+ Not saying these numbers are anything impressive, but they are great progress from where i was, and progress is what its all about...

Last edited by Disciple X; 12-14-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #18
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple X View Post
I'm obviously the lone ranger on this topic. Lol. But my poor programing and entirely too long rest periods have done me well... i hitt a 205x2 push press 325 x 3 paused bench, and a 405 raw squat within the last two weeks or so, all of which were huge PRs. All my workouts are 2 hr+ Not saying these numbers are anything impressive, but they are great progress from where i was, and progress is what its all about...
Your numbers are good numbers, and another perfect example that multiple methods work. If you want to train for 3 hours than that's your prerogative, and I'm not going to hold that against you.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #19
Disciple X
Max Brawn

2-2.5 most days lol. thats all i wanted to get across is that its not a set in stone rule that can not be broken... i'm finding more and more that the unbreakable rules work, but so does other stuff. I eat twice a day, the six meal nazis think i should be wasting away! I squat 5-6 days a week, i should be overtrained and getting weaker, i'm setting all time PRs. The list goes on and on... "passion trumps everything" - dave tate.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #20
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

As long as it takes baby.