Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Do weight gainers work? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8196)

wimpy 12-11-2011 05:21 PM

Do weight gainers work?

I am pretty small and want to gain some weight so I can bulk up. Do the weight gainers that I see advertised really work? If so which ones work the best?

BendtheBar 12-11-2011 05:24 PM

If you can't gain weight they will help. I would make every attempt to add calories without one though.

Whole milk, butter, cheese, sour cream, almonds and nuts, peanut butter, cheese cake, Doritos ;)

There are plenty of reviews of weight gainers on M&S. You can sort by popularity and read ratings to find the best for you.

Disciple X 12-11-2011 09:16 PM

Thats the best advise above. Eat more whole foods! But if you must, serious mass is the best i've used. That and universal real gains. I actually liked real gains better but it doesnt have as many callories...

bruteforce 12-11-2011 09:31 PM

Mt advice on weight gainers is: Try a highly rated one and see how you like it. There's nothing wrong with using a weight gainer to reach your goals, but I wouldn't suggest more than one shake worth a day. If you need more than that, re-evaluate your overall diet.

Now for my spiel on common excuses for not cooking nutritious, calorie dense, great tasting meals. You might not make any of them, but for posterity's sake, here they go.

1. "I don't have enough time" Yes you do. Next.

2. " No really, I don't have enough time." Refer to number 1. If time really is an issue, if you're working 80 hours a week, have a family, children, and run a charity on the side, ok, I get it. You're as busy as the rest of us. Make big batches of awesome food and freeze it. Get a crock pot and make loads of stews and chili and add cheese and sour cream.

3. " I can't cook" Ok. I was a terrible cook at first, but after a couple weeks, I got a lot better. Practice a little, start with easy recipes, follow the book, and it will work out. Plus, its WAY cheaper to eat at home than to hit restaurants all the time.

4. "I'm in college and have no where to cook" Buy a microwave and a 2 burner electric hotplate. This is all you need for some really great meals.

5. " I live at home and my parent's don't support this type of thing" Get a job, buy some food, cook it, and eat it. If they forbid you to do it, either respect them, or get your own place.

6. "Its too expensive" It really isn't. Peanut butter, whole chickens, rice, beans, pork. Look for sales and you can eat like a prince for a price that will fit any budget.

7. " I can't eat that much food" This I have a little sympathy for, but not much. Work at it, and this is finally where the weight gainer comes in. A shake is easier to keep down than 3 pounds of ground beef, a pound of pasta, and a loaf of bread (which incidentally sounds like a nice light snack before supper to me).

Buy wisely, eat to failure, and use supplements strategically and you'll be set to grow.

Trevor Lane 12-11-2011 09:44 PM

Use chocolate milk in a protein shake instead of regular milk.... bam! Got yourself a gainer! In addition, eat 6 times a day till you feel sick then eat a little more. You'll gain.:mh:

5kgLifter 12-12-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimpy (Post 196864)
I am pretty small and want to gain some weight so I can bulk up. Do the weight gainers that I see advertised really work? If so which ones work the best?

Take a leaf out of any overweight person's book; they never used a weightgainer in their life. :chow: