Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   4 days a week (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8195)

wimpy 12-11-2011 05:20 PM

4 days a week

Am I really only suppose to train 4 days a week? I thought if you lifted you did it more than that.

Off Road 12-11-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimpy (Post 196862)
Am I really only suppose to train 4 days a week? I thought if you lifted you did it more than that.

Shoot, guys make very good progress on even two days a week. So ya, four days is more than enough. But more important is what you are doing on those four days?

tank 12-11-2011 09:26 PM

quality over quantity. increasing all your weights from one workout to the next 2 times a week as a beginner would be more beneficial than working out 6 days a week and being unable to add weight each time because of inefficient recovery.

markievicz 12-12-2011 02:44 AM

Sometimes less is more buddy. I remember when I first started out I had trouble grasping this concept. Most beginners think they should be in lifting 7 days a week for 2+hrs. 4times a week is plenty. What program are you currently following.? Think of it this way. When you lift weights you need to give your body time to repair and grow for the next session. . . . If in doubt read up on the training logs of some of the more senior guys here-you'll see they mostly do 4 days a week. This should convince you that if it works for them then it will for you too

Kuytrider 12-12-2011 06:19 AM

While some people do make gains on 6 days a week, THESE ARE EXPERIENCED LIFTERS. Beginners may make gains on such a schedule for a short time but these gains will mean little as they get sore, tired and injured because of overtraining. Soon, they lose interest and quit.

The 3-4 day guy lifts consistently and manages 3-4 sessions a week for a year. On each of these days, he/she follows a program of progression which as you know, means increasing the weight on the bar (or reps) every session whenever possible. This person gets sufficient recovery time, excellent gains and continues on the right path for years to come. Once they plateau (maybe not a great choice of word), only then do they increase the workload as their body gets used to 3, then 4, then 5 sessions a week.

These workouts should include exercises like squat, deads, rows, military presses etc. (again common knowledge that is rarely listened to). In a nutshell, as a beginner or lower intermediate especially, if you feel 3-4 sessions a week is enough, you aren't training hard enough in those sessions! I always say it but it's bloody true.

irongirl 12-12-2011 02:17 PM

I agree less is more. I do it about 2 times a week. Once in a while I squeeze 3 in if I am in the mood.