Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
runwithme
Brawn
Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

runwithme has made some quality postsrunwithme has made some quality postsrunwithme has made some quality postsrunwithme has made some quality postsrunwithme has made some quality postsrunwithme has made some quality posts
Default Should you exercise when you are sick?

I just have to ask everyone what they think about this. I do not exercise if I am really sick. I think it does nothing for you. But my friend will exercise no matter what. Do you really think this is a good idea? I do not.
runwithme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runwithme View Post
I just have to ask everyone what they think about this. I do not exercise if I am really sick. I think it does nothing for you. But my friend will exercise no matter what. Do you really think this is a good idea? I do not.
Simple answer: No.

Your friend, could easily be addicted to exercise which sounds very likely; though, it depends on the interpretation of "sick", they may feel that they are not that sick that they cannot do some form of exercise or they may be pushing through if they have a training goal that is time limited (must be ready for a marathon etc).

But, when really sick, no; if slightly under the weather, people should gauge it on how they normally respond/recover and may be able to throw a light session in instead of doing nothing...it's really a personal thing which has to be based on the knowledge of your own body.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
wesrman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

Rest and recovery is as important as training. So no, usually not a good idea.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Completely dependant on the type of exercise and the type of sickness. I've had colds before where I kept training just the same. I find that being active helps to open me up when I'm sick, and the increased circulation makes me feel much better. This is especially true oh headaches. Nothing helps a headache like a good training session.

That being said, I wouldn't feel bad if I had to miss a session or two because of health issues. I'd play it by ear and try to listen to my body. If you're body isn't in a situation where it will be able to recover from training, then there's not much use in doing it. A good example of that would be a stomach problem. If I can't get the nutrition I need to support my training, then there isn't much use in doing it at all.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Me personally... I'm training unless I'm dizzy or losing fluids.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

If I have a fever, I take the day off. If i just feel like ass, i still train.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Training hard can prolong your illness. I usually just skip it until I feel better.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #8
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

My simple rule:

1) If symptoms are simply above the neck, then go ahead and train.
2) If symptoms can be felt below the neck, then do not train.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Depends on the type of sickness, a real bad flu - obviously not training. When just having a cold i go in an train to my max daily potential, even if my CNS usually plays hard to get on those days, its still fun.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I am addicted to exercise, and not a bit ashamed of it. I have trained when I have had minor colds in the past, just a simple runny nose, or something like that, and will again in the future. But, when its more serious, I rest and its best not to add in any more stress, and let the body deal with sickness and get better.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote