Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Should you exercise when you are sick? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8105)

runwithme 12-03-2011 08:19 PM

Should you exercise when you are sick?

I just have to ask everyone what they think about this. I do not exercise if I am really sick. I think it does nothing for you. But my friend will exercise no matter what. Do you really think this is a good idea? I do not.

5kgLifter 12-03-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runwithme (Post 194309)
I just have to ask everyone what they think about this. I do not exercise if I am really sick. I think it does nothing for you. But my friend will exercise no matter what. Do you really think this is a good idea? I do not.

Simple answer: No.

Your friend, could easily be addicted to exercise which sounds very likely; though, it depends on the interpretation of "sick", they may feel that they are not that sick that they cannot do some form of exercise or they may be pushing through if they have a training goal that is time limited (must be ready for a marathon etc).

But, when really sick, no; if slightly under the weather, people should gauge it on how they normally respond/recover and may be able to throw a light session in instead of doing nothing...it's really a personal thing which has to be based on the knowledge of your own body.

wesrman 12-03-2011 10:04 PM

Rest and recovery is as important as training. So no, usually not a good idea.

Soldier 12-03-2011 10:15 PM

Completely dependant on the type of exercise and the type of sickness. I've had colds before where I kept training just the same. I find that being active helps to open me up when I'm sick, and the increased circulation makes me feel much better. This is especially true oh headaches. Nothing helps a headache like a good training session.

That being said, I wouldn't feel bad if I had to miss a session or two because of health issues. I'd play it by ear and try to listen to my body. If you're body isn't in a situation where it will be able to recover from training, then there's not much use in doing it. A good example of that would be a stomach problem. If I can't get the nutrition I need to support my training, then there isn't much use in doing it at all.

Pull14 12-03-2011 10:45 PM

Me personally... I'm training unless I'm dizzy or losing fluids.

bruteforce 12-03-2011 10:46 PM

If I have a fever, I take the day off. If i just feel like ass, i still train.

Off Road 12-04-2011 01:32 AM

Training hard can prolong your illness. I usually just skip it until I feel better.

Fazc 12-04-2011 03:25 AM

My simple rule:

1) If symptoms are simply above the neck, then go ahead and train.
2) If symptoms can be felt below the neck, then do not train.

big_swede 12-04-2011 04:30 AM

Depends on the type of sickness, a real bad flu - obviously not training. When just having a cold i go in an train to my max daily potential, even if my CNS usually plays hard to get on those days, its still fun.

Chillen 12-04-2011 11:58 AM

I am addicted to exercise, and not a bit ashamed of it. I have trained when I have had minor colds in the past, just a simple runny nose, or something like that, and will again in the future. But, when its more serious, I rest and its best not to add in any more stress, and let the body deal with sickness and get better.