Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Thanks guys for your help. I kinda have a better knowledge of what I need to do. I do like to run but I would much rather do other things that will give me a better gain towards building muscle instead. And when it comes to bench press I just started lol and I suck but ya gotta start somewhere I guess. I do need to start working legs more, I have been doing some but not like I do my arms and chest. And I dips/ pull ups I do. But when it comes to my diet I really cant get it zeroed in on what I should eat and such. For breakfast that shake is really the only thing I will eat. Then it goes as followed in my previous post. And do I or do I not need any type of supplements to get where I am wanting to be. I get so many mixed opinions on that topic.
Supplements...start simple. Whey protein, a good multivitamin and perhaps fish oil for general health. At minimum if you're on a tight budget just go with whey protein. It's good to have around.

Diet. I advocate keeping it simple.

--Eat 3 square meals each day with at least 30 grams of protein.
--In between meals have a nutritious snack, like whey protein with some almonds and a banana, or Greek yogurt, fruit and a whey shake. Stuff like that. Whole milk is also good in between meals as it isn't very filling. You can put a scoop or two of whey protein into it as well.
--Biggest meal of the day should be post-workout. This is not rocket science. You eat when you are hungry, and you are hungry after hard training.

Breakfast can be something like a cheese omelet, hash browns, whole milk and some fruit, or oatmeal, a banana and whole milk with whey.

Other meals should include some protein, healthy carbs, fats and a veggie or two.

My rule is...veggies with meals, fruit in between meals as snacks. Your mileage may vary. Whatever works for you.

When it comes to protein foods...mix it up. Don't eat chicken breasts or tuna every meal. A variety is good.

Also, don't avoid good fats. They are needed. Fat does not make you fat. You are better off eating food that is not processed, like fake foods (margarine) or low-fat, low-sugar. Whole eggs are great and the higher fat beef meat cuts are ok.

The key with diet is to eat sensibly and healthy most of the time. Some will say snacks in between meals aren't needed, but most people snack anyway. So if you're going to do so, make it a higher protein snack with some good nutrition to go along with it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

excellent post Steve.....

perfect for someone starting out.... keep it simple.

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Workouts...the basics will serve you well. You want to spend some time building up your base strength using basic exercises. During this time you will be working on your lift form as well.

Remember that your body is WILLING to pack on muscle right now. Find a plan that appeals to you and stick with it. A basic workout doesn't mean sub-par results. Far from it. A basic workout will yield very good results. At some point in time you will need to/want to change. Until then, here are some solid options:

Starting Strength. Rippetoe Starting Strength Workouts - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.
Reeves Classic. http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/rea...e-workout.html
Christy AB Split. http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/ful....html#post7638

There are many great options. Pick one that appeals to you. You will have to start slow. The first month or so should be very moderate weight. Work on form, learn the demands of the program, and then slowly add weight to the bar.

Each of the above programs provides suggestions for weight progression. Remember that weight progression on basic exercises is the fastest way to build muscle. Fancy programs aren't required.

Hard work plus a good diet plus persistence will help you reach your goals.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Another article you should check out when you have time:

Beginners: Practical Starting Routines for The Drug-Free Trainee - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

Hopefully some other members will chime in with suggestions. Most of us will be telling you the same thing, but in different ways. Just remember that this isn't a complex process.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Wow, Btb, that was an excellent set of posts. Everything spot-on just like I'd expect from you and the guys on this forum. I don't have much to add, except maybe some routine suggestion, but that will just complicate matters and make his choice harder. He really can't go wrong with the one's you have already suggested. Thread of the month right here!
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
Zach
New Brawn
Points: 136, Level: 2 Points: 136, Level: 2 Points: 136, Level: 2

Zach is off to a bad start

Looks like I am going to start this:

Beginners: Practical Starting Routines for The Drug-Free Trainee - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

I figured it would be a good starting point and it really caught my eye.

Another thing that I am stumped on still is my diet or my eating. I should eat the same protein or basically the same diet that I would eat on training days on my rest days as well shouldn't I?
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #17
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

It's up to your goals. I tend to eat more carbs on workout days, and more protein on lower carb days. But you can just eat the same diet every day, it makes it easier to track and adjust.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Like OR said, you can eat more carbs on workouts days if you want. The important thing is that you're eating enough is general so that your body can build and recover.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #19
Zach
New Brawn
Points: 136, Level: 2 Points: 136, Level: 2 Points: 136, Level: 2

Zach is off to a bad start

Just checking with you all to make sure I was doing it right. I usually eat the same diet on and off workout days. I am really excited to start up this new workout routine! Again thank you all for your help and support.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote