Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I really started because of one magazine. About 1966, Weider started producing barbell plates at Hill Top foundry in the UK. My Dad was in management there, and they did a photoshoot: not a bodybuilder type shoot, just a few photos of the foundry. As Dad was in the photos, he got a copy of the magazine. He had zero interest in weights or bodybuilders.

That magazine was around during my childhood and was my only exposure to the world of muscle. The cover in particular completely blew me away - a picture of Larry Scott in a twisting back double biceps. I just couldn't believe that any human being could look like that. It really was that that led me on to weights a few years later.

I found a US version of the magazine. I don;t know if this had the same content as the UK version, but it's certainly the same cover shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	larry scott.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	3692  
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
Now I just need a job that pays me to lift heavy and tell kids to get out of my squat rack.

That is the dream

For me, I was always small growing up: At 15 I was about 5 foot 1 and I'd say 110 pounds. Wish I didn't wait till my 20s to start and I really wish I didn't wait till my very late 20s to understand how much I enjoy it. One of my older brothers loved weights so he certainly got me interested.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I started because I didn't want to be a skinny twerp anymore.
^^This. I was tired of being small. I lifted for a bit and got into what non-lifters would consider to be pretty good shape, but I still felt tiny. So, I learned more and did more (under the iron and in the kitchen).

Now, I keep going because I love the results. I feel big and strong and I think I look big and strong. I love stretching out t-shirts that used to be loose on me, I love tracking my gains, and I love when other people (lifters moreso than non-lifters) notice and respect my hard work.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
Traphouse86
Max Brawn
Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 6 Years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Muscle Milk & Xtend
Traphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributor

Ever since I was little I always wanted to be bigger than I was. I started playing around with weights when I was in the 8th grade using a little barbell my parents got me from wal-mart lol. When I got to weight lifting class my freshman year in high school I was the weakest guy in there and remained the weakest till the end of the year. It ate me up inside. Sometimes all the other guys would leave the weight room and go play basketball. I would be the only one in there doing powercleans till I dropped lol wanting to improve. I knew then that in some way the weights would have a huge impact my life. Over the years after school I would go to the YMCA and do curls, machine dips and leg curls. Not till I got to college I really wanted to make a difference in myself. At 19 I was 5'9 135 pounds. I couldn't stand being small. So I started going to the Y on a regular basis and made some newb gains but stalled out pretty quick. I kept trying bodybuilding type workouts and was getting nowhere. But then I found two supplement ...... Creatine and serious mass lol. Can't lie, it put some weight on me. Got up to around 185. But even with all that weight gain, I could barely bench 225 for two solid reps. I would keep trying to press/lift heavy weights so people would think I was strong lol. All it did was hender my progress. I would also try and get around the main lifts as much as possible. Would do rack pulls other than a full deadlift, high box squats rather than a full squat. Did this for a good while till I had to swallow a nasty pill called humility. I wanted to be strong but I knew I was keeping myself away from it by trying the quick fix, shortcuts to strength. Finally I swallowed my pride and dropped the weights and started all over with the main lifts. Within 6 weeks i went from barely able to bench 225 for 5 clean reps to 225x10 like butter. As well at this time I found my true love and what would help me achieve my goals. POWERLIFTING!!!!!!!!!! have not looked back since then. Many thanks MuscleG for showing me the darkside!!!!!

"I donít believe that anyone knows what his or her full potential is, I donít believe in genetics as a ceiling for performance, and I donít believe in plateaus." JMB

Proudly Sponsored by http://muscleandbrawn.com/
Traphouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
Traphouse86
Max Brawn
Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53 Points: 6,569, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 6 Years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Muscle Milk & Xtend
Traphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributorTraphouse86 is a dedicated contributor

I have a feeling I should of put this in the introduction thread LOL

"I donít believe that anyone knows what his or her full potential is, I donít believe in genetics as a ceiling for performance, and I donít believe in plateaus." JMB

Proudly Sponsored by http://muscleandbrawn.com/
Traphouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Haha...You can quit now, you got 'em
lol, thanks. I'm addicted now...

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I posted on what got me started before, so I will not bore ya all again. Unless one wants me to.

In addition, to what was formerly written in the past, I was told I was far too old to get lean enough and build any sort of "adequate" muscle mass to look good without looking like I was one of the persons that came from the conentration camps. This was on the web, and from people I know (friends and family). In addition, my Dr. (bless her heart) told me to "unfat myself", and the pain in my back (from the fat pulling down on the discs, and nerves, on my lower back) would go away, once I reduced my weight.

First order of business was educating my path, because at first I didn't know jack-squat about dieting or exercise/weight training. And embarked on losing 40 plus fat pounds and was about 200 pounds starting weight with huge man boobies.

Bought OLY training equipment and stationary bike (bench, and made a pullup station in my garage then), after a few months of exercising (basically was doing bodyweight training prior, pullups, pushups, inverted rows, and that sort of thing, when I didnt have any equipment, to make this short...).

In my garage, I setup a cloths line on the west wall, that encircled the ceiling just below and U-shaped around my training area. In this area, it had my starting picture, and each month of progression pic with the coresponding month, and at the far end, a pic of person about my age (with a physique I wanted).

At each training session, I would move forward or back the current progression pic, dependent on how I peformed in the gym: If it sucked, it went back one peg; if it was good it went forward one peg. To make this short, I had a series of pics in the garage that gathered for nearly a year and half, and my last progression pic met the target pic. Dropped 40 pounds, dipped well under 9% BF (200 to 152/154), earned raxor sharp abzers, and built a solid foundation of muscle mass, that I could work with, to gain (good weight) in the future.

If I would have listened to persons on the web (at the time), and to friends and family, I was defeated before I started.

This is one reason I am severely critical to anyone trying to say what my goals should be, or what I ought to be doing. Consistency, is want from the heart, and attitude when things get messed up in life, not the want from someone else. So, I focused on what I thought looked good to me, and not someone elses opinion on what looked good to them. Didnt care then, and still do not. Opinions are like butt-holes, everyone has one, and you can drive yourself to the nut farm, when the only opinion (on what you want) that matters, is yours. IMO, if you are pushing the weight to please someone else, you are aready wrong.

During this still on-going process (where I am now about 170, but still under 9% BF, the iron has taught me many lessons. And, one of them is that an aging body can be improved if you let the iron speak softly too you, and not the ones that do not understand--but think they do.

Peace, bro family.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #18
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
I posted on what got me started before, so I will not bore ya all again. Unless one wants me to.

In addition, to what was formerly written in the past, I was told I was far too old to get lean enough and build any sort of "adequate" muscle mass to look good without looking like I was one of the persons that came from the conentration camps. This was on the web, and from people I know (friends and family). In addition, my Dr. (bless her heart) told me to "unfat myself", and the pain in my back (from the fat pulling down on the discs, and nerves, on my lower back) would go away, once I reduced my weight.

First order of business was educating my path, because at first I didn't know jack-squat about dieting or exercise/weight training. And embarked on losing 40 plus fat pounds and was about 200 pounds starting weight with huge man boobies.

Bought OLY training equipment and stationary bike (bench, and made a pullup station in my garage then), after a few months of exercising (basically was doing bodyweight training prior, pullups, pushups, inverted rows, and that sort of thing, when I didnt have any equipment, to make this short...).

In my garage, I setup a cloths line on the west wall, that encircled the ceiling just below and U-shaped around my training area. In this area, it had my starting picture, and each month of progression pic with the coresponding month, and at the far end, a pic of person about my age (with a physique I wanted).

At each training session, I would move forward or back the current progression pic, dependent on how I peformed in the gym: If it sucked, it went back one peg; if it was good it went forward one peg. To make this short, I had a series of pics in the garage that gathered for nearly a year and half, and my last progression pic met the target pic. Dropped 40 pounds, dipped well under 9% BF (200 to 152/154), earned raxor sharp abzers, and built a solid foundation of muscle mass, that I could work with, to gain (good weight) in the future.

If I would have listened to persons on the web (at the time), and to friends and family, I was defeated before I started.

This is one reason I am severely critical to anyone trying to say what my goals should be, or what I ought to be doing. Consistency, is want from the heart, and attitude when things get messed up in life, not the want from someone else. So, I focused on what I thought looked good to me, and not someone elses opinion on what looked good to them. Didnt care then, and still do not. Opinions are like butt-holes, everyone has one, and you can drive yourself to the nut farm, when the only opinion (on what you want) that matters, is yours. IMO, if you are pushing the weight to please someone else, you are aready wrong.

During this still on-going process (where I am now about 170, but still under 9% BF, the iron has taught me many lessons. And, one of them is that an aging body can be improved if you let the iron speak softly too you, and not the ones that do not understand--but think they do.

Peace, bro family.
Awesome post bro!

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote