Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default Top 5 Arm builders

Most if not all guys want big guns so what would be the best 5 exercises for building big strong arms ? how close to the mark am I ?

1.Close grip bench press
2.Chin ups
3.Tricep dips
4.Bench press
5.Barbell rows
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

I dont really do any direct arm work ,

you will build big arms as a result of heavy compounds

your choices above look reasonable to me. . . .

edit: to add to LtL's point below , if you are gonna do curls id also look at some exercises for the Brachialis

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5

Last edited by markievicz; 11-30-2011 at 08:20 AM.
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I'd say that curls would work better for biceps than rows. Heavy presses to work triceps look good though.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

My "rules" for direct arm work is that you shouldn't do any direct biceps work until you can do 10 chin ups, and you shouldn't do direct tricep work until you can either do 10 dips or bench your bodyweight 10 times. In trying to reach those bench marks you're going to develop great arms, and once you reach those points you should add in some direct work to take them to the next level. When you get there, there's nothing wrong with curls for the biceps, but remember that triceps like HEAVY lifting. Low rep close grip bench is just about as good as it gets for triceps size, but you also want to do something overhead to hit it from a different angle.

Last edited by Soldier; 11-30-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

#1. Squats (gotta get the whole body growing)
#2. Weighted Bar Dips
#3. Weighted Chin-ups
#4. Lying Triceps Extension
#5. Heavy Barbell Curls

Heck, that would make a pretty good arm specialization routine right there.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I've gone through training periods where I did no direct arm work and other periods where I did. My arms were a lot bigger when I did direct work in addition to indirect work.

For me:

1. Barbell curls
2. Seated incline curls
3. Reverse curls
4. Lying triceps extensions
5. Overhead DB extensions

Edit to add: sorry, just noticed this was on the Beginner's Forum. I still think that even beginners can benefit from direct arm work (try and stop 'em, anyway), but better results overall would come from spending most of their energy elsewhere.

Last edited by Tannhauser; 11-30-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
My "rules" for direct arm work is that you shouldn't do any direct biceps work until you can do 10 chin ups, and you shouldn't do direct tricep work until you can either do 10 dips or bench your bodyweight 10 times. In trying to reach those bench marks you're going to develop great arms, and once you reach those points you should add in some direct work to take them to the next level. When you get there, there's nothing wrong with curls for the biceps, but remember that triceps like HEAVY lifting. Low rep close grip bench is just about as good as it gets for triceps size, but you also want to do something overhead to hit it from a different angle.
I think this is a really reasonable approach.

I don't see many guys with arms that I envy who don't do some direct work for biceps and triceps in addition to their compound exercises.

I firmly believe that if you want really nice arms (and I am talking about arms that other lifters think are nice, not Joe average on the street), then you have to do both compound and isolation.

Last edited by MC; 11-30-2011 at 09:31 AM.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

You do not see skinny guys, walking around with big guns: Guns are made in direct portion to an increase in overall bodyweight. Arms are the facilitators of the big muscle movers. Increase mass on the larger muscles, and arms will follow.

Bottom line.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
So, I shouldn't do any bicep work because I can't do a chin-up? But I've had great bicep progress by doing dumbbell work. The problem is in assuming that people can do chin-ups which is seldom the case (and I can't anyway due to the TOS, which is beside the point) and for those that can't, there is nothing wrong with curls, or for those that can for that matter.

If a person states, don't do A until you can do X-number of exercise B, if a person can never do B then A always suffers and they will get nowhere at all.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I'd say ultimately it's beneficial, I'm starting to appreciate the need for bicep/forearm work more now my Bench numbers are climbing.

My main problem is that I really can't be bothered with it!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote