Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #21
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
It's not about "being allowed to" it's about whether it's any good or useful; and the sentence above has you saying it's a waste of time...I have to differ on that viewpoint. Some people will never be able to do dips and/or chins, which leaves them curls etc.
Its about applying some practical common sense; for example: When doing rows (say bent over BB rows, traditional style): Which exhausts first? The upper back (which is a larger muscle) or the tinie-weenie bicep in the execution of the movement? Now, its true, the biceps (will of course) get stronger as time and progression moves on, but in the mean time, the muscle in the back isn't being worked....as much as it could be, if the bicep was stronger. Why wait--while the back isnt being worked like it could be (in this example I am giving). Apply som direct work, and having a stronger bicep is nearly never wrong, in bent over rows, in my opinion.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #22
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
Its about applying some practical common sense; for example: When doing rows (say bent over BB rows, traditional style): Which exhausts first? The upper back (which is a larger muscle) or the tinie-weenie bicep in the execution of the movement? Now, its true, the biceps (will of course) get stronger as time and progression moves on, but in the mean time, the muscle in the back isn't being worked....as much as it could be, if the bicep was stronger. Why wait--while the back isnt being worked like it could be (in this example I am giving). Apply som direct work, and having a stronger bicep is nearly never wrong, in bent over rows, in my opinion.
But, this is my point, I cannot do chins (just not medically viable) therefore common sense dictates that curls and/or other exercises that I can do are my remaining options.

I have no issues with people suggesting compounds such as chin-ups as the better exercise, if a person is able to do them, but to suggest that curls shouldn't be done until chin-ups can be accomplished is like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

We're not all fit/healthy enough to be able to do chin-ups, so curls have to suffice, in that instance.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #23
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
But, this is my point, I cannot do chins (just not medically viable) therefore common sense dictates that curls and/or other exercises that I can do are my remaining options.

I have no issues with people suggesting compounds such as chin-ups as the better exercise, if a person is able to do them, but to suggest that curls shouldn't be done until chin-ups can be accomplished is like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

We're not all fit/healthy enough to be able to do chin-ups, so curls have to suffice, in that instance.
And, I agree, of course, young lady. Individual particulars and circumstances, dictate what is done, and this trumps all things that are or may be deemed traditional.

Good post.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #24
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I had a really complex statement about efficient use of time and working multiple muscles vs. isolation movements, but it ended up sounding silly to me.

In the end, I think that chins are a better overall strength builder AND a better biceps strength builder than curls, and I think that the efforts made to first be able to perform chins and then increase the number you can do will serve you far better then doing any curl movements. I know I sound like I've drank the anti-curl koolaid, but that isn't the case. I think they have their place, but I also think a beginner's gym time can be better spent.

For the record, Chillen, I understand your points and don't necesarily disagree.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
You also don't do curls!
I can curl 135 cold for reps. I do them once every couple of months.

I could never do chins or pulls. At 190 and strong, at 220 and strong or at 270 and strong. I have been crazy strong at curls when I did do curls. I think at one time I could easily strict curl 175-185 at a bodyweight of 205.

I personally have never had enough bodyweight strength to do pullups or chins. This is not to say I don't regret working on them. I do. But I recall only once in my life being able to do a single pullup, and that was a kip.

I am a big advocate of chin ups. I think they are a great choice if someone can do them to begin with.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #26
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

I LOVE TO DO CURLZ FOR DEM GIRLZ!!!!

.........is that wrong?
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #27
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Rows and curls helped me to be able to do chin-ups...just sayin'

I've been known to do barbell curls, but they are usually the first thing to get thrown out when feeling tired.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #28
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Very interesting btb. 5kg, I hope you don't think I'm trying to be uncaring. I definitely understand that some people are stronger and weaker at different things, and I DEFINITELY understand if someone has a medical reason they can't do something. I have general guidelines I follow when giving advice, but it's always a relative thing and must be malleable to different situations in order to best serve the individual person.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #29
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I usually tell folks if they can do chin ups (palms toward face), then use them for biceps. Curls are not bad either for an isolation lift. they are one of the few isolation lifts that can actually allow for substantial progression.

When I look at isolation lifts for arms, the question I ask is this...does this lift allow for much progression? If not, it's dead to me.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #30
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I do direct arm work, but it has never been a focus of mine. I add in arm work when I feel like it because along with everyone else I feel they get plenty of work with compound movements. I do specific arm work when I feel they need extra work.

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote