Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

When thinking terms of what the body naturally does, its fine to do direct arm work, to say otherwise, isn't correct. In addition, the arms (when performing compounds) are responsible for engaging the larger upper muscle groups, and sometimes the arms can be the weak-link, not allowing pre-mature exhaustion of the larger muscle groups, and therefore, doing some (reasonable) direct arm work to remedy this compliction, is good dependent on the individual person.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Couldn't agree more Chillen.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

I stick with heavy presses and rows. I hate working arms directly.
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
So, I shouldn't do any bicep work because I can't do a chin-up? But I've had great bicep progress by doing dumbbell work. The problem is in assuming that people can do chin-ups which is seldom the case (and I can't anyway due to the TOS, which is beside the point) and for those that can't, there is nothing wrong with curls, or for those that can for that matter.

If a person states, don't do A until you can do X-number of exercise B, if a person can never do B then A always suffers and they will get nowhere at all.
I'm not saying someone shouldn't be allowed to do direct arm work unless they strengthen OTHER muscles first. In fact, it doesn't get much better than chins and dips for arm development. What I'm saying is that someone shouldn't NEED direct arm work until they've reached these milestones in their training.

Doing curls and triceps extensions when you can't yet do chins and dips is like using bands, chains, and partials your first day in the gym. It's not needed yet and I'd consider it a waste of time and effort.

Of course, people are free to do what they will, and being in the gym at all is better than doing nothing.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I'm not saying someone shouldn't be allowed to do direct arm work unless they strengthen OTHER muscles first. In fact, it doesn't get much better than chins and dips for arm development. What I'm saying is that someone shouldn't NEED direct arm work until they've reached these milestones in their training.

Doing curls and triceps extensions when you can't yet do chins and dips is like using bands, chains, and partials your first day in the gym. It's not needed yet and I'd consider it a waste of time and effort.

Of course, people are free to do what they will, and being in the gym at all is better than doing nothing.
It's not about "being allowed to" it's about whether it's any good or useful; and the sentence above has you saying it's a waste of time...I have to differ on that viewpoint. Some people will never be able to do dips and/or chins, which leaves them curls etc.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
It's not about "being allowed to" it's about whether it's any good or useful; and the sentence above has you saying it's a waste of time...I have to differ on that viewpoint. Some people will never be able to do dips and/or chins, which leaves them curls etc.
Are we talking about specific situations in which for some physical reason people can't do dips or chins? If that's the case, then of course generic rules don't apply. Personally I don't see why anyone wouldn't be able to build the strength to do at least a few of both. Bench presses and pushups will build the strength to start doing dips, and pull downs, rows, and inverted rows with a reverse grip will build the strength to do chins.

Not that long ago I could only do a couple chins. Now I can pop off 12+ with little issue.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I can't do chin ups

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I can't do chin ups
You also don't do curls!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #19
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

You serious?
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Soldier
Max Brawn

I bet if he was hanging off a cliff he could pop off a couple. Anybody that can row as much as he can could pull himself up if he needed to.