Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
Zipz
New Brawn
Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Zipz is off to a bad start
Default Working out longer than one hour?

Is it true you shouldn't work out longer than one hour?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Zipz
New Brawn
Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23

Zipz is off to a bad start

I forgot something! Everyone says that over-training is hard to do and I am confused because others say you shouldn't work out longer than one hour.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

It might be hard to over-train but that doesn't mean we need to train for 2 hours a day. BTB once said if you can't work your body hard in an hour you have no business training longer. I have applied this to my workouts and now try to make every set a quality set.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Go in and do what you're there to do... Don't leave until your finished.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I have 2 things to say about that. The first one is that depending on what your goals are, if it takes you longer than one hour 5 or 6 days a week to train then you're probably resting too long and training too light.

The second thing is that when you train you want to maximize testosterone and HGH while minimizing cortisol. The shift from test to cortisol tends to happen about an hour after you start training. This is a simplified explanation of a complex reaction, but that's why most people go by the 1 hour rule.

Personally, I'm spent after about an hour and it's useless to push it any further. Hit it hard then head on home.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

I train 90 minutes a day but it took me years to build up my daily volume. When you're beginning man there's just no reason to leave your balls on the gym floor. What I mean is that you will make gains just working hard 3 days a week and hour or so at a time.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

You can workout hard or you can workout long. Harder is better.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
You can workout hard or you can workout long. Harder is better.
While this is true, it's a very HIT orientated point of view. I think Jones said this originally.

Where it gets interesting and transcends the fairly one dimensional view of HITers is pushing the amount of useful volume while still working hard. HIT states working harder is better to the point where volume can and should be reduced.

For me balancing the volume with frequency and varying it is vital to progress.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Back to the point though, take as long as your program needs. This will vary based on experience/needs.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
While this is true, it's a very HIT orientated point of view. I think Jones said this originally.

Where it gets interesting and transcends the fairly one dimensional view of HITers is pushing the amount of useful volume while still working hard. HIT states working harder is better to the point where volume can and should be reduced.

For me balancing the volume with frequency and varying it is vital to progress.
I wasn't speaking in a HIT sense. I was refering more to the fact that if you worked your way up to a max set of squats, followed by a bit of volume, and followed that up with the same intensity on a couple of upper body movements, there'd be little left in the tank. I also believe in what Wendler dubs the "Jack Shit" workout, where you just work a big lift into the ground, set a good PR, and leave.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote