Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   questions about working the back ? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7954)

abett07 11-17-2011 11:33 PM

questions about working the back ?

how much volume does the back need to grow ? I was going to use the steve reeves workout after starting strength but it only has 7 working sets for the back

does the back need to be hit with a range of exercises ? for instance when I perform chin-ups it hits my upper back much more than when deadlifting

big_swede 11-18-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abett07 (Post 190086)
how much volume does the back need to grow ? I was going to use the steve reeves workout after starting strength but it only has 7 working sets for the back

does the back need to be hit with a range of exercises ? for instance when I perform chin-ups it hits my upper back much more than when deadlifting

7 working sets are plenty. And deadlifts hit the whole back, including upper trapeziuz and the lats in a way that nothing else does. Heavy pulls are the way to a big and strong back!

abett07 11-18-2011 03:01 AM

so this is definatly enough ?

monday
rows 3x12
wednesday
rows 3x12
friday
deadlifts 3x5 one working set

LtL 11-18-2011 05:37 AM

If you're pushing for progression and adding weight to the bar each week, that will be plenty.

LtL

abett07 11-18-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 190106)
If you're pushing for progression and adding weight to the bar each week, that will be plenty.

LtL

cheers.

I cant wait to start the reeves workout.11 sets working the triceps and 6 sets working the biceps a day with a good diet will give me those arms I have always wanted:)

BendtheBar 11-18-2011 09:26 AM

That's plenty. I've never really worked over 9 sets per body part per week. Sometimes I went as high as 12.

Like the guys said, the real magic is in progression. If you get a 500 deadlift and are rowing 275, your back will have a quality amount of size.

abett07 11-23-2011 05:03 AM

do power cleans work the whole back or just the lower back ?

abett07 11-23-2011 07:38 AM

sorry just realized that I have already asked this questions , cleans work the whole back , it just feels like it focuses more on the lower back to me

what do you guys think is the better lift power cleans or barbell rows ?

Soldier 11-23-2011 09:01 AM

Power cleans will hit your lower back and shoulders with just a little upper back. Barbell rows will hit your upper back hard, with just a little lower back.

As far as what's better, that's hard to say because they're different movements in many ways. I would, however, say that rows are far more important to include compared to power cleans.

Off Road 11-23-2011 10:01 AM

Personally, I think you need a good reason to do Power Cleans. I just feel there are other lifts that hit the back muscles and build strength just as well [or better] than Power Cleans. Not to mention that these other lifts, like Deadlifts, Rows, Chins, etc, are easier to learn and safer to perform. Just my 2 cents.