Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post

what do you guys think is the better lift power cleans or barbell rows ?
Depends on your goals really.
Power cleans are superior for developing functional explosive strength. Power cleans require more muscle groups and parts of the body to work together to perform the lift, something that for sport, performance and overall strength development is very important.
Furthermore Rippetoe claims that Power Cleans are the Yin to Deadlifts yang. Meaning that the explosive lift of power cleans will directly help the deadlift.

Having said all that, if your goal is strictly to build upper back mass and strength, bb rows are the way to go. I am of the opinion that there is no better upper back mass builder. The rows are to the back as the bench press is to the chest. BB rows are also effective for upper back strength.

Really, when it comes down to it, these are 2 different lifts that I feel can't really be compared. They both serve a different yet valuable purpose.
That is just my opinion on the matter.
I will leave you with this to think about. In Bill Starr's book "The Strongest Shall Survive", he says If you could only do one lift, out of all the lifts, that Power Cleans would be the lift you want to do. I butchered that quote, but you get the point......

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
abett07
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

would it be fair to say that these are the top 5 back exercises ?

1.deadlift
2.barbell rows
3.power cleans
4.db rows
5.chin/pull ups
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
would it be fair to say that these are the top 5 back exercises ?

1.deadlift
2.barbell rows
3.power cleans
4.db rows
5.chin/pull ups
Definitely fair, although I wouldn't put them in that order if it matters.

Honestly, there are quite a few variations on the row, and they are all useful. I've actually found that T-bar rows hit my back even better than barbell rows because on BB rows I tend to start to stand up during the set. The back is a very complex collection of muscles, so you want to pull in lots of different directions and with lots of different grips to hit everything. Through experimentation you can find what feels good to you and make good use of it.

Here's the T-bar row. The key is to use 25lb plates so you can pull closer to your chest.

Another good movement is the chest supported row. This one is good to use after dead lifts, as you don't need to use your lower back to support yourself. Also, many of these machines have multiple grip options which is good.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote