Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
smasson
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

smasson is off to a bad start
Default Best Bench Press - Decline/Incline/Flat

hi,

wanting to build my chest (like most guys do).

in terms of the incline of the actual bench, which is best:

flat bench press, incline bench press or decline?

Or is it best to do a combination of all 3?
smasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Get really good at flat bench, as in perfect form and a good base of strength, before you worry about incline or decline. If you have a good arch on your flat bench then it will basically BE a decline bench press, which is a good thing. If you have questions on bench press form we'll be happy to help.

If you also include dumbell presses and dips then you'll have all the movements you need for great chest development.

As an aside, please work your back just as much if not more than your chest. There are more muscles in your back, and they are far more important to your development as a lifter when compared to your chest. As a general rule, you should do at least 1 set of a pulling movement for every pressing movement you do. That means for every set of bench presses, dips, or overhead presses, you should also do at least one set of some sort of row or pull up at some point during the week.

Please trust me when I say that you will be much happier with your overall development if you follow this advice.

Last edited by Soldier; 11-17-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasson View Post
hi,

wanting to build my chest (like most guys do).

in terms of the incline of the actual bench, which is best:

flat bench press, incline bench press or decline?

Or is it best to do a combination of all 3?
I usually use all 3. Although Decline presses have been proven to stimulate the pecs the least, I still use them. I'll take a little stimulation, add in some high intensity, and get a good pump.

I feel like using all 3 angles will help you to develop a balanced chest.

Hope this helps.

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Get really good at flat bench, as in perfect form and a good base of strength, before you worry about incline or decline. If you have a good arch on your flat bench then it will basically BE a decline bench press, which is a good thing. If you have questions on bench press form we'll be happy to help.

If you also include dumbell presses and dips then you'll have all the movements you need for great chest development.

As an aside, please work your back just as much if not more than your chest. There are more muscles in your back, and they are far more important to your development as a lifter when compared to your chest. As a general rule, you should do at least 1 set of a pulling movement for every pressing movement you do. That means for every set of bench presses, dips, or overhead presses, you should also do at least one set of some sort of row or pull up at some point during the week.

Please trust me when I say that you will be much happier with your overall development if you follow this advice.
I can't stress what he bolded above more.. Too many new lifters want a big chest and big arms. So all they do is bench and bicep curls. Please don't do that. As Soldier said, be sure to build evenly. Your back does so much for so many other lifts, it just can't forgotten about.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

A well-rounded routine will build your chest. Don't place any emphasis on your chest or any other body part, as every muscle will increase in unison when you learn to eat and train properly.

When you place emphasis and focus on 1 particular muscle, or muscle groups, you create imbalances - which will either make you look goofy or cause injuries. My best suggestion I can give to any new lifter is to forget about isolated muscle groups and focus on becoming a complete package. Everything you want will fall into place in time.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

If you end up handling 300+ for reps in either exercise you'll probably have a large upper body all round, certainly bigger than you are now.

Focus on progression, exercise selection is a relatively unimportant detail as long as you're not completely off track.

What the other guys said about back work is good advice.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
bignbuff
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

bignbuff is off to a bad start

It's interesting how many guys (even my own workout mates) focus alot on the chest.
Back muscles are important and so are leg muscles. These are large muscle groups that will give better tone to your entire body
bignbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignbuff View Post
It's interesting how many guys (even my own workout mates) focus alot on the chest.
Back muscles are important and so are leg muscles. These are large muscle groups that will give better tone to your entire body
I think you'll find that less people on here focus on chest; most of us are about being a whole unit.