Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Best Bench Press - Decline/Incline/Flat (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7944)

smasson 11-17-2011 09:32 AM

Best Bench Press - Decline/Incline/Flat
 
hi,

wanting to build my chest (like most guys do).

in terms of the incline of the actual bench, which is best:

flat bench press, incline bench press or decline?

Or is it best to do a combination of all 3?

Soldier 11-17-2011 09:57 AM

Get really good at flat bench, as in perfect form and a good base of strength, before you worry about incline or decline. If you have a good arch on your flat bench then it will basically BE a decline bench press, which is a good thing. If you have questions on bench press form we'll be happy to help.

If you also include dumbell presses and dips then you'll have all the movements you need for great chest development.

As an aside, please work your back just as much if not more than your chest. There are more muscles in your back, and they are far more important to your development as a lifter when compared to your chest. As a general rule, you should do at least 1 set of a pulling movement for every pressing movement you do. That means for every set of bench presses, dips, or overhead presses, you should also do at least one set of some sort of row or pull up at some point during the week.

Please trust me when I say that you will be much happier with your overall development if you follow this advice.

emekajokammor 11-17-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smasson (Post 189784)
hi,

wanting to build my chest (like most guys do).

in terms of the incline of the actual bench, which is best:

flat bench press, incline bench press or decline?

Or is it best to do a combination of all 3?

I usually use all 3. Although Decline presses have been proven to stimulate the pecs the least, I still use them. I'll take a little stimulation, add in some high intensity, and get a good pump.

I feel like using all 3 angles will help you to develop a balanced chest.:rockon:

Hope this helps.:mh:

ricka182 11-17-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 189802)
Get really good at flat bench, as in perfect form and a good base of strength, before you worry about incline or decline. If you have a good arch on your flat bench then it will basically BE a decline bench press, which is a good thing. If you have questions on bench press form we'll be happy to help.

If you also include dumbell presses and dips then you'll have all the movements you need for great chest development.

As an aside, please work your back just as much if not more than your chest. There are more muscles in your back, and they are far more important to your development as a lifter when compared to your chest. As a general rule, you should do at least 1 set of a pulling movement for every pressing movement you do. That means for every set of bench presses, dips, or overhead presses, you should also do at least one set of some sort of row or pull up at some point during the week.

Please trust me when I say that you will be much happier with your overall development if you follow this advice.

I can't stress what he bolded above more.. Too many new lifters want a big chest and big arms. So all they do is bench and bicep curls. Please don't do that. As Soldier said, be sure to build evenly. Your back does so much for so many other lifts, it just can't forgotten about.

Shadowschmadow 11-17-2011 10:21 AM

A well-rounded routine will build your chest. Don't place any emphasis on your chest or any other body part, as every muscle will increase in unison when you learn to eat and train properly.

When you place emphasis and focus on 1 particular muscle, or muscle groups, you create imbalances - which will either make you look goofy or cause injuries. My best suggestion I can give to any new lifter is to forget about isolated muscle groups and focus on becoming a complete package. Everything you want will fall into place in time.

Fazc 11-17-2011 10:25 AM

If you end up handling 300+ for reps in either exercise you'll probably have a large upper body all round, certainly bigger than you are now.

Focus on progression, exercise selection is a relatively unimportant detail as long as you're not completely off track.

What the other guys said about back work is good advice.

bignbuff 11-18-2011 10:39 AM

It's interesting how many guys (even my own workout mates) focus alot on the chest.
Back muscles are important and so are leg muscles. These are large muscle groups that will give better tone to your entire body

Shadowschmadow 11-18-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bignbuff (Post 190157)
It's interesting how many guys (even my own workout mates) focus alot on the chest.
Back muscles are important and so are leg muscles. These are large muscle groups that will give better tone to your entire body

I think you'll find that less people on here focus on chest; most of us are about being a whole unit.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.