Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AAS, Fat Intake and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7922)

BendtheBar 11-15-2011 12:30 PM

AAS, Fat Intake and Bodybuilding

This is a point made by Matt over at Tried and True Fitness.

Tried & True Fitness — Time-tested strategies for building muscle, burning fat and optimizing health

I wanted to re-post it for discussion...

Quote:

Listen -- the juiced-up bodybuilders will tell you to eat skinless chicken breasts, brown rice and egg whites. However, if you do that you'll miss out on a lot of good, healthy fat. And if you are drug-free, you NEED fat to produce optimal levels of testosterone and other muscle-building hormones.

Juiced-up bodybuilders do NOT need much dietary fat because they are INJECTING testosterone and other anabolic steroids.

But drug-free guys like you and me? We need dietary fat -- and lots of it. So if given the option, pass on the chicken and load up on the beef.

Soldier 11-15-2011 12:56 PM

HELL YES. I get plenty of fat, and plenty of different types of fat. I think it's one of the resons I've developed like I have in the last year.

Chillen 11-15-2011 12:56 PM

Fats are one of the most misunderstood macros of the three (I would give the most misunderstood to the carbohydrate, when it concerns the mass public).

We can thank, in part, the low-fat culture of the past for this way of thinking.

When you begin to look into how various hormones are made/induced/released, etc ,(with what is currently known), one will obtain a clear picture, that dietary fat (including some saturated fat and cholesterol) are needed in the biological process.

Though these aforementioned items are needed, there is a risk with too much, as with most things.

Rich Knapp 11-16-2011 07:43 AM

People I work with always freak when I increase there fat macro's for good fats.

The over all amount of good fats is again very personalized.

I have personal friends that one has to keep even good fats low and another that can eat only fats and protein and ether put muscle on or get supper ripped for a show.

BUT the starting point before tailoring it to the person. around 25-30% of your cals should be from a mix of good and bad fats (as they call them). With a higher % in the room temp liquid fats. Like from Olive and canola oils and nuts.

A small % from bad like the chicken shin mentioned is also needed and good. The body needs them to properly digest and process the foods you eat.

So eat up just don't get stupid about what you eat. Use common sense and eat for your goals.

MC 11-16-2011 09:11 AM

I noticed significant jumps when I swapped out chicken for lunch and replaced it with beef.

I still eat tons of chicken, but I eat much more beef, comparatively (over a pound a day of beef usually).