Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #11
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevsworld View Post
I'd say focus more on your overall foundation with compound movements (dips, squat, deadlift, etc), and in time you can learn how to train any "lagging parts."
Good advice. Keep things simple until you need to get more complicated.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #12
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
I like to do both. Bb is great for over all heavier weight and chain work, but Db's hit stabilizers more and you can put your hands in a natural position.
That one is huge. Whenever I see people doing dumbell bench press they always have their arms flared and the dumbells straight across like they are holding a barbell. This is not a natural position. Watch almost any bodybuilder do DB bench and the DB's are angled with the elbows tucked.

Also, part of the reason to use DB's is to get a fuller stretch at the bottom, but most people only bring the DB's down half way! First off, that's a tricep exercise and second off, we all know your weak already and struggling to bust out crappy half reps with a weight you can't handle doesn't make you look stronger, trust me.

I guess people expect too much of themselves with DB presses. I can legitimately press 285 with a BB and have done 205x15, but I struggle to get out just a couple reps with 100's.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I guess people expect too much of themselves with DB presses. I can legitimately press 285 with a BB and have done 205x15, but I struggle to get out just a couple reps with 100's.
This is a really good point. I've been get stuck with the 80s for weeks now on flat bench. What I love about DBs is how, in many cases, you get more out of less weight.

For example, I do seated DB lateral raises with shoulders depressed. I've used 25 pounds on a few occasions but have mostly built my lateral delts with 15 and 20# DBs.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
This is a really good point. I've been get stuck with the 80s for weeks now on flat bench. What I love about DBs is how, in many cases, you get more out of less weight.

For example, I do seated DB lateral raises with shoulders depressed. I've used 25 pounds on a few occasions but have mostly built my lateral delts with 15 and 20# DBs.
One thing to think about is that on any lift, your ability to apply maximum force has in inverse relationship to how stabil the movement is. We have one of these at my gym;

I can press WAY more on this than I can on a regular bench press, because all I have to do is push as hard as I can.

Also, the effects of instability reveal themselves the closer you get to max weights. That's why I can rep out 12+ times with 85's, but I can only do a few reps with 95's.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
Jesda
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Jesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good posts

I am just starting but I am finding that barbells are easier for me to lift. Maybe because I only have to worry about lifting it as a whole and not worrying about lifting the dumbbells together.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I am just starting but I am finding that barbells are easier for me to lift. Maybe because I only have to worry about lifting it as a whole and not worrying about lifting the dumbbells together.
That's normal. Like I mentioned, barbells are more stable then DB's and that makes them generally easier to lift.

Make sure to use both, but don't expect to lift as much with DB's as you do with barbells. Adjust your expectations according to what you're doing and don't be afraid to start with weights that allow you to use good form, no matter how small they might be.