Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor
Default Limitations of high intensity training

I don't come across too many intelligent discussions on high intensity training so I thought maybe Muscle And Brawn would be a good place.

I just finished reading Gordon Lavelle's book and he advocates a Dorian Yates style of muscle building. While it sounds very interesting I am left wondering what the limitations are of high intensity training are?
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I don't care for training to failure. I've never found it necessary.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I don't discount it altogether 'cos it obviously works for some, but the problem I have is with it being 'THE WAY' people train. It's a decent thing to do every once in a while with exercises you are comfortable in. But like any change in training, it's usually the change and not the method that is the catalyst for growth/strength. Especially peaking strength by going from high to low volume.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

When we began to explore the Steve Reeve's style approach I was struck with how close it was to HIT. Not exactly the same, obviously, but it had only one top end heavy set for reps, and a couple ramped sets ala Dorian Yates.

I don't believe Reeves advocated failure, but I could be wrong.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
When we began to explore the Steve Reeve's style approach I was struck with how close it was to HIT...
I read an account someone gave of Mentzer training back in the 70's, he said he saw him do a heavy warm up of 15 reps, another heavy warm up of 12, another at 10 and then his final set of 8 which he took to failure. The guy approached Mike and said "hey, that's what everyone else does around here; 4 sets with decreasing reps! What happened to your HIT stuff??!" to which Mike replied "WHAT DO YOU MEAN, THEY WERE WARM UPS TO THE FINAL SET!".

Sure looked like a regular drop pyramid to me.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I read an account someone gave of Mentzer training back in the 70's, he said he saw him do a heavy warm up of 15 reps, another heavy warm up of 12, another at 10 and then his final set of 8 which he took to failure. The guy approached Mike and said "hey, that's what everyone else does around here; 4 sets with decreasing reps! What happened to your HIT stuff??!" to which Mike replied "WHAT DO YOU MEAN, THEY WERE WARM UPS TO THE FINAL SET!".

Sure looked like a regular drop pyramid to me.
Exactly. Great story.

I tried that exact approach last year at one point and the warmup sets were no joke. We had more than a few people fun the Reeve's routine, and they quickly found that "one working top end set" was much harder than it looked when preceded by high rep warmups.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Reminds me sort of Grimek...I believe he used to do 20 rep sets of squats with "lighter" weight as he worked up to 400-500 with reps.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Fazc
Max Brawn

Are you a Seinfeld fan Btb?

Newman: "I Nautilus of course!" *puffs out his chest*

Labels become very popular.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Are you a Seinfeld fan Btb?

Newman: "I Nautilus of course!" *puffs out his chest*
Yes.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Fazc
Max Brawn

Yeah, I think labels become very popular with some crowds of people anyway, perhaps those who HIT reaches out to. Maybe? Getting a bit psychosocial there.