Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

My personal favourite is Standing Abs from a Lat Pulldown. Other than that, weight sit-ups, side bends etc anything where I can add weight progressively.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1787 View Post
I understand that abs are made in the kitchen. How do we train them properly so they look thicker when they are revealed? Is it better to train them more frequently and do we need resistance or volume?
Genetically speaking, you are predisposed to your genetic disposition, and they do not "grow-like" other muscle parts. Concerning the core, I looked at them more in line in what they are "designed to do", and designed my workout structure around this concept. For example, if I am leaning down, and wanting to reveal the core (through dietary structure, and metabolic-like weight training), I will peform the Front Squat, instead of the Back Squat. The base reason, for this is the fact that the core takes on more of a "stability and control" position during the execution of the movement as compared to the Back Squat. Which is one of its primary functions. In addition, when running a circuit, I will add in Prone Planks, and Renegade Rows (right after completing the Front Squat), as these are close kin to the same thing: "Stability and support", during the execution of the movement, which, again, is the primary purpose of this muscle group. In addition, the core gets indirect work when performing the Military Press, Pull-ups, and other compound movements (say like the Dead lift as well). Directly, I have performed weighted progressive decline Sit-ups around my split circuit, but I performed them only in 30 degrees up. In addition, direct core work would include weighted stability ball crunch, but its not the mainstay of my program. I have always had overly large core structure. What I can say is that during the years I have trained, they have not grown much, but strength has improved greatly. Hope this helps, if you need more information, let me know.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Abs play a good part in locking the core for heavy stable lifts in my opinion.

Legs or no legs for stability.
I agree that as a person starting out that they do develop fine with other compound lifts.

As you move into advance you may want to hit them for a direct w/o for them.
I like the Hammer Strength Machine, weighted ab crunches and the Lat pull down for weighted crunches.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
Jesda
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25 Points: 1,839, Level: 25
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Jesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good postsJesda has made some very good posts

What is a weighted plank? I would like to know as they sound sort of interesting. Are they hard to do? I need to get my abs in shape.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote