Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
mystro
New Brawn
Points: 250, Level: 4 Points: 250, Level: 4 Points: 250, Level: 4
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 12 7yr layoff
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: none
Fav Supp: syntha 6
mystro is off to a bad start
Default Squats Parallel or below

I know this topic must have hit the forum hundreds of times but couldn't find a thread. Should squats be done parallel or below, is there any studies to support either movement.Secondly Herniated a disc lower back now it seems below parallel is easier than the latter.Dont know if its my mind but i do box squats fairly well and thats parallel, but move the box and its on!narrow stance at parallel is a killer.Well, either or?
mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

When speaking of only depth, it doesn't really matter as long as your hitting parallel. Go with whatever is more suitable for you (goals, wear/tear, comfort, etc).

Your disc issue and the below parallel squat may have more to do with stance/technique than the actual depth -- you may be keeping your torso upright and letting your knees travel forward more (oly squat) to allow for greater depth. This in turn takes some of the pressure off your back. Just a thought...

Last edited by Pull14; 10-10-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Here's my two cents:

If you aim for parallel and cut high, you're high which is bad. If you aim for below parallel and cut high, you're at parallel which is good.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I always just go down until I can't anymore. Last year that was below parallel, but this year I've had some hip mobility issues that stop me right at parallel. Go down until your body stops you.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I'd go at least parallel whether you compete (PL) or not.

If you don't compete and are interested only in muscle, then feel free to go further.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Here's my two cents:

If you aim for parallel and cut high, you're high which is bad. If you aim for below parallel and cut high, you're at parallel which is good.

LtL
This is a good rule. If you get into the habit of going below, you can't go wrong.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
mystro
New Brawn
Points: 250, Level: 4 Points: 250, Level: 4 Points: 250, Level: 4

Training Exp: 12 7yr layoff
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: none
Fav Supp: syntha 6
mystro is off to a bad start

Thanks guys you're all sayingthe same thing basically which is good. I always wondered if below recruited more fibers or if that slight pose at the bottom reduced tension on the muscle,either way squats kick but!
mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

Depends on your goal man. If your goal is to move maximal weight, then stop at parallel. If you're trying to do more "work" with the same weight, go lower, or do more parallel reps.

Also depends on your stance... if you're using an olympic "atg" style then its going to actually suit the movement better to go down as far as you can, especially since thats the main reason to do atg squats... they're done by olympic lifters because thats the position that thet end up in at the bottom of a snatch or clean. If you re using more of a powerlifting stance- wider and sitting back with knees out, there's no sense in going deeper than a little bit below parallel... if you even can. Most peoples flexibiliylty limits how far they can squat with a certain width stance. Thats actually a powerlifting technique called using "hip lock"- using as wide a stance to where your flexibility stops you at parallel in the hole...
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Here's my two cents:

LtL
I used to use that rule for myself, until I videoed myself and saw that what I thought was hitting parallel was actually very high. I now only squat with a box. A 16" box gets me just under parallel and I make sure my butt taps the box on every rep.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I used to use that rule for myself, until I videoed myself and saw that what I thought was hitting parallel was actually very high. I now only squat with a box. A 16" box gets me just under parallel and I make sure my butt taps the box on every rep.
That's a good idea. I use a box that's pretty much at parallel now. I need a smaller box.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet