Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
embrance
Brawn
Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

embrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality posts
Default Low reps Vs High Reps.

Till now,in my full body I was doing anything between 1-6 reps per set.It worked great,and i loved it.I have made great gains on the scheme.

These past 2 week I have been experimenting with some higher reps shemes like Reeves,and I can even complete ONE workoute,let alone the 3 in the same week.

Should I continue progress on thw lower reps,that i still make gains and I am accustomed to them or try something different?
embrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Stick with a program until it stops working.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

If you are making the kind of gains you want to be making, there is no earthly reason to change. Why would one stop doing something that is helping them effectively achieve their goals and in a timeframe that they are happy with?
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

When you jump into a program like Reeves with the higher reps you have to allow some time to adapt to it. I recommend starting with a lighter weight and build into it. If you start heavy it can really be taxing.

This is a common issue with high rep fullbody programs. I ran into this program myself when trying to transition over.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-08-2011 at 05:39 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Training should be as much about fun/enjoyment as it is progression. If you need a mental break from the monotony of low reps or just have a wild hair to try the high reps, go for the higher reps. Just accept that changing things could have a negative consequence and set you back... OR it can have a positive impact.

I'm all for sticking to what works, but sometimes you need to take a step into the dark and experiment a little.

If you do choose to go for high reps, drop a some weight so that the first handful of training sessions are easy-moderate and add weight from there. That and make sure what ever you choose you stick with it for some time. Jumping from program to program in short periods of time does little.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by embrance View Post
Till now,in my full body I was doing anything between 1-6 reps per set.It worked great,and i loved it.I have made great gains on the scheme.

These past 2 week I have been experimenting with some higher reps shemes like Reeves,and I can even complete ONE workoute,let alone the 3 in the same week.

Should I continue progress on thw lower reps,that i still make gains and I am accustomed to them or try something different?
If what you are doing is working, why do you want to change it? Don't get caught up in the "Grass is greener on the other side" syndrome, when the grass your currently in is green enough to bring the results you want. Stick with it, bro, until the green begins to dull, and this begins to dull when you body "tells you it is".

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
embrance
Brawn
Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

embrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality postsembrance has made some quality posts

Anyway,I decided ot keep my current training as it works great still.I took a 2 week break, since I needed that rest and now blowing through PRs every week.Will be posting updates soon.
embrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by embrance View Post

You stay with what is working for you. Its is very normal when one is under the bar, and on off time (when studying different programs and such), to think that if I tried this or that, my gains may be better than they are with the program I am using--if I tried something different. People tend to change far too often. IMO, stay with a program that is working, until the body "proves" to you, that it isn't any longer.

I use higher reps when leaning down--only because it tends to burn a higher amount of carbohydrates as compared to lower rep ranges, and will deplete (when diet is right) glucose storage faster.

If the grass is green stay there, and as you study, and the body starts to dislike what you are doing, your studying will..then pay off. Stay studying buddy.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
erictbrown1
Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: DHEA
erictbrown1 has made some good postserictbrown1 has made some good postserictbrown1 has made some good postserictbrown1 has made some good postserictbrown1 has made some good postserictbrown1 has made some good postserictbrown1 has made some good postserictbrown1 has made some good posts

I like to mix it up. Week one is heavy powerlifting week 5 reps. Week two is more bodybuiling from 10 to 15 reps.
erictbrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote