Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
flow
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts
Default Ideas on programming

cheers,

i am still on my course with HLM but i need some good ideas regarding further programming.
i already discussed some parts of it with steve here some months ago.

my typical template is
H 3x3-5 3 min rest
M 3x8-10 2 min rest
L 2x15 1 min rest.

all sets across and whole body. 186cm. 88kg. 19%BF

2200 kcal on off days. 2700 on training days. 30 years old.

I workout 2 x the week the exercises are also programmed in a HLM manner (E.G.chest: H:dips /L:dumbbel benching flat/M: decline barbell bench)

I did the one above and progressed good on the M and L day.Average gain of 10 pounds after 5 weeks. The H day was difficult on progressing.
I deloaded after 5 weeks:I cut back to one set and 80% of the weight used on all days and build to 100% up over 3 rotations.

Now i am trying for one top set on the H L and M days.(ramped)

The questions-which could be discussed on HLM in genereal:

- Perhaps the H day is too seldom or heavy to let a good progression occur. (remember i work out 2x the week so a full HLM rotation lasts bout 10 days).
An option would be to shoot for a heavy set of 5-8 to avoid CNS burnout.

-Also when deloading/getting back to the old weights i need about 5 weeks because my H/L/M rotation is spread out over 10 days- thats damn long

-Is it neccessary to switch to a ramped set approach after doin sets across? (i did it to bring down the volume) Or would it be enough to switch out the exercises after stalling, deload and repeat the parameters?

Another thought of mine would be to combine one of the days with each other. Like H and L day. (like 3x3 bench followed by 2 higher rep sets)or H and M day (3x5 bench and 3x10 accessory dumbbel benching)

So my main problem is HOW the cycles NEED to differ between each other(paramters, exercises), combining them with a smart deload and if a combination of some days would better fit in my schedule.

How do you do it?

FloW

Last edited by flow; 10-05-2011 at 09:09 AM.
flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Just curious... Are you trying to gain, lose or maintain?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
flow
Brawn

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

well i ended some years ago with 98.5 kg and 23%BF.

I needed to loose my belly and ended on 83kg and 16%BF. I lost muscle and fat-the caloric minus was just too big.

Now i am at 88kg and 19% BF (30 years old BTW)with the mentioned caloric intake.

Well i want to get bigger again but i keep track on my BF% to not get THAT fat again. So the gains are for sure more slow.

I look how far this kcal intake takes me in regards of mass/strength and BF% and adjust from there. (cutting or not)
Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

All I want to really say is to not sell yourself short on PWO days by reducing your food intake. Protein synthesis peaks around 24-48 hours PWO. Your body needs that fuel the following day, more so than ever.

Just something to consider.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
flow
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
All I want to really say is to not sell yourself short on PWO days by reducing your food intake. Protein synthesis peaks around 24-48 hours PWO. Your body needs that fuel the following day, more so than ever.

Just something to consider.
true.

what you might consider? A plus of 300?

I want to eliminate unnecessary fat gain-but i know that the same way i set myself short of gains.
nevertheless for this purpose the weekend (SA/SU) is off diet. My last session is on friday. So i can feed up during the week end and return rested on monday.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow View Post
true.

what you might consider? A plus of 300?

I want to eliminate unnecessary fat gain-but i know that the same way i set myself short of gains.
I understand what you want, but I want to help you understand that its not quite feasible. In order to build muscle, you need extra calories. Not all of those calories are going to go straight to muscle gain. Its a sad fact that we have no control over.

With that being said, the goal here is to add muscle mass, while adding minimal fat. In order to do this, we want to add 300-500 calories above our maintenance calorie intake. Personally, I would probably lean towards 500 or a little higher, especially if you're naturally skinny. With this surplus, your body won't be adding much fat at all. Realistically, a pound of fat is about 3500-4000 calories. So in order for you to gain a pound of fat, you'd have to sit on your ass and not use those additional calories. Even then, it would take you about 7-8 days to gain 1 pound. So its not like your fat gain is going to be rampant; especially since you'll be training.

Some people run diet cycles; particularly those who are prone to fat gain. You might run 2-3 months (or longer) of surplus, and then 2-4 weeks in a deficit. Depending on how your body is responding, and how much fat you're putting on, you would adjust this cycle to suit your needs.

Last edited by Shadowschmadow; 10-06-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Shadowschmadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
flow
Brawn

Quote:
I understand what you want, but I want to help you understand that its not quite feasible. In order to build muscle, you need extra calories. Not all of those calories are going to go straight to muscle gain. Its a sad fact that we have no control over.

With that being said, the goal here is to add muscle mass, while adding minimal fat. In order to do this, we want to add 300-500 calories above our maintenance calorie intake. Personally, I would probably lean towards 500 or a little higher, especially if you're naturally skinny. With this surplus, your body won't be adding much fat at all. Realistically, a pound of fat is about 3500-4000 calories. So in order for you to gain a pound of fat, you'd have to sit on your ass and not use those additional calories. Even then, it would take you about 7-8 days to gain 1 pound. So its not like your fat gain is going to be rampant; especially since you'll be training.

Some people run diet cycles; particularly those who are prone to fat gain. You might run 2-3 months (or longer) of surplus, and then 2-4 weeks in a deficit. Depending on how your body is responding, and how much fat you're putting on, you would adjust this cycle to suit your needs.

true. somethings i have to consider.
suprisingly my kcal intake over the half year was stable. i didnīt increased or reduced it . So it suprised my that i gained muscle and fat during this time.
Perhaps its also the macros and my age (30).

but true words you say-thank you.
So in a gaining phase one could do 531 and acessories. and in the cutting phase limiting the work to only 531..
Old 10-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow View Post
true. somethings i have to consider.
suprisingly my kcal intake over the half year was stable. i didnīt increased or reduced it . So it suprised my that i gained muscle and fat during this time.
Perhaps its also the macros and my age (30).
If you were eating at maintenance, then I would say your maintenance was probably a little off. Keep in mind these calculators are not exacts.

Quote:
but true words you say-thank you.
So in a gaining phase one could do 531 and acessories. and in the cutting phase limiting the work to only 531..
If you're entering a cycle of calorie deficits, then you want to reduce your training volume. I'd recommend by a 1/3 of whatever it is that you're doing. Keep the intensity high, but be careful not to burn yourself out.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
flow
Brawn

Quote:

good thoughts. i will consider that. thank you!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Hitting a heavy percentage for low reps with the same lifts week after week will definitely lead to stalls. You could benefit from planned progression, like using 5/3/1 for your heavy days. Keep ahead of the stalls.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote