Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Ask Bodybuilding Related Questions Here: (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7507)

rippednmichigan 10-04-2011 12:44 PM

Ask Bodybuilding Related Questions Here:

I would like to open up this thread to all bodybuilding related questions. Whether they be show prep, diets, training, cardio, supplements etc...

Please keep questions in this thread respectful. Try not to derail this thread as it will lead to a lot of misscommunication for new members.

So without any other delay.......GO!

Sent from my Epic 4G with Tapatalk

Zipz 10-04-2011 12:56 PM

Can you explain what lean bulking is.

rippednmichigan 10-04-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipz (Post 177453)
Can you explain what lean bulking is.

As there are different takes on this topic my take is this, "Lean Bulking" is a carefully calculated nutritional plan that would be slightly over maitainance (or even carb cycling). The nutritional plan would be very clean, ex. Chicken, whole oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes, leafy greeans etc. NO sodas or sweets. For training you'd wanna stick with a routine that focuses on the big lifts with lower reps and some accessory lifts with a slightly higher rep range.

*EDIT* I would also like to add you will want to shoot for a gain of no more than 1.5lbs per week with 1lb being ideal. Reason for this is to maximize the muscle gain rather than the fat gain that comes along with traditional "Bulking".

Off Road 10-04-2011 01:38 PM

Here is a good subject I think a lot more people should understand...

What percentage of size gain is attributed to an increase in muscle mass and then energy storage?

Knowing that you should train for each a little differently, what percentage of your workout should you devote to each?

rippednmichigan 10-07-2011 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 177462)
Here is a good subject I think a lot more people should understand...

What percentage of size gain is attributed to an increase in muscle mass and then energy storage?

Knowing that you should train for each a little differently, what percentage of your workout should you devote to each?

Sorry it took so long to reply crazy busy, but I'm here.

First question is atough one and I don't think one can acurately measure, correct me if I'm wrong? People train with different intensities, nutrition and programs so size gain could very well be scewed by inflamation or water retention.

Can you clarify your second question?

Off Road 10-07-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rippednmichigan (Post 178221)
Sorry it took so long to reply crazy busy, but I'm here.

First question is atough one and I don't think one can acurately measure, correct me if I'm wrong? People train with different intensities, nutrition and programs so size gain could very well be scewed by inflamation or water retention.

Can you clarify your second question?

Sure, no problem. This is a topic that I find interesting.

I've heard it said, and I tend to agree with it, that genetic potential for size gains will partition out to ~75% dry muscle (Myofibrillar) and ~25% energy storage (Sarcoplasmic). So my question is; If these numbers are close to accurate, what percentage of your training should be devoted to each type of hypertrophy?

Training for energy storage (Sarcoplasmic) only accounts for ~25% of your genetic potential, but most bodybuilders put a larger emphasis on high rep "bodybuilder" type training. Does this type of training demand that kind of emphasis?

Training for dry muscle (Myofibrillar) accounts for a much larger percent of your genetic potential, yet bodybuilders seem to do far less of this low rep type training. Is this type of training more economical and therefore requires less overall attention in your routine?

rippednmichigan 10-07-2011 09:08 AM

I want everyone to understand that I don't know everything but like to think I know something. I will do my best to answer your questions, if its something I don't know, give me time I will try to locate the answer.

Off Road 10-07-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rippednmichigan (Post 178276)
I want everyone to understand that I don't know everything but like to think I know something. I will do my best to answer your questions, if its something I don't know, give me time I will try to locate the answer.

I do the same thing when I get some questions asked of me. We can't know everything and I see it as a great way to expand everybody's knowledge. Just like the question I posed, it's something that I keep trying to wrap my head around and it just keeps opening up more questions rather than giving answers. But by discussing it we all gain knowledge, and that's a good thing.

bamazav 10-07-2011 11:57 AM

Don't feel bad, I have to go to the dictionary and look up 2/3 of the word OffRoad is using.

Off Road 10-07-2011 12:03 PM

I actually just recieved a pretty good explanaiton on another forum that seems very logical. I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate but if you guys would like, I could share it with you. It could be a good jumping off point for a good discussion.