Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   push,pull,squat workout questions (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7459)

abett07 09-29-2011 05:53 AM

push,pull,squat workout questions

The push,pull,squat workout seems to be the best way to go to give the best full body workout .I am going to change to this kind of workout .My current workout routine is a good A/B split but only has me squatting every second session

is ok to use a push exercise that dosent work the chest ?

was thinking about this as template

day 1
squat
bench
rows

day 2
front squat
overhead press
deadlift

day 3
squat
incline bench
power cleans , if I cant do these I will replace with chinups instead

thanks for any feedback

bamazav 09-29-2011 07:05 AM

Might be a little more helpful to know more about you. Age? Lifting Experience? etc...

There are multiple views on fullbody work. What is best often is determined by the lifter more than the program. To help, however, we need to know more about the lifter.

Shadowschmadow 09-29-2011 07:06 AM

^^^ What he said.

Oh btw, OHP works the chest to an exent. And yes, pressing isn't always about the chest; you'd be selling yourself short not to do a version of OHP.

abett07 09-29-2011 07:19 AM

I am 22 years old and have been lifting weight for about 5 months.

max over 5 reps
squat 55 kilos
bench 55 kilos
dead 45 kilos

if its relevent height 6ft ,weight 81 kilos

Shadowschmadow 09-29-2011 07:36 AM

Height and weight are always relevant. It allows us to get a rough idea of what level of development you're at. Based on your weight, and weight you can move; I'd say you're still a beginner and have plenty of room for improvement. Beginner development requires a beginner's program.

Off Road 09-29-2011 07:55 AM

Even as a beginner, my low-back would be crushed by that routine. Especially if I was to go heavy on everything.. That's the reason I like a Christy beginner routine over a Ripptoe beginner routine.

Shadowschmadow 09-29-2011 08:17 AM

Personally, I think SS is a good approach for a beginner, but I would prefer to see rank beginners run that program 2x a week instead of 3x.

Pull14 09-29-2011 09:51 AM

Personally, squatting 3x a week ain't to taxing; for what its worth I use the oly squat/front squat. The deadlift is what I'd worry about -- on a program like this you want to keep the dead volume low only go all out every few weeks. A beginner however will be able to get away with heavy-ish deads frequently because the max is always changing.

The exercise selection looks fine. A push can be any big movement that has you push something. As for the deadlifts, I'd throw them on day 3 and put cleans on day 2 OR keep cleans and deadlifts on day 3 and each week just do one (w1 - clean, w2 - dead, w3 - clean, w4 - dead...). Past that it really comes down to sets/reps/weight and how you progress.

I would personally give Starting Strength a run for a few months or until you stall. At 81 kg I believe you have a lot more strength in ya than the max's you listed. If you run SS correctly, your 5RM's for the squat and dead should easily pass your bodyweight.

---

Shadow, just curious as to why 2 days instead of the 3?

Shadowschmadow 09-29-2011 10:52 AM

I don't see any issue with squatting 3x a week. Personally, it always kept me fresh and stretched, but I do take beef with squatting heavy 3x a week; even for a beginner.

abett07 09-29-2011 11:24 AM

with starting strength I dont feel confident enough to start adding weight to the bar with the power cleans , plus no isolation exercises at all ? I totaly understand that compound exercises are the way to go but still isolation exercises must have a place in most routines ?

thought I would post my current workout

workout A
squat
bench
rows
curls
abs

workout B
deadlift
overhead press
chins
dips