Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Muscle Building and Bodybuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Wuss check (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7443)

Goat 09-27-2011 07:50 PM

Wuss check

I have completed fourteen weeks of SL 5x5 and am switching to madcow.
But before I do, I need to know if I am being a wussy.

SL has gotten to the point that I can barely finish a work out. Well over an hour to complete. I took a break and went back at it with 3x5 and the result was the same. I don't think I am recovering enough between workouts.

My lifts are

DL 255

Squat 240

bench 160

OH press 115

Row 160

I eat a lot, fairly clean and lots of sleep.

I have done a single workout of madcow and it felt pretty light, but of course that will change in a few weeks.

The SL program says to switch from 5x5 to 3x5 to 1x5 and then to madcow or another intermediate program. I just don't see how I can to make progress with SL

I am sure madcow is a good program, but are there others that may be better for me? Why?

Big and strong is my main goal.

BendtheBar 09-27-2011 08:37 PM

Hi Goat,

Sure, there are other program that can help. I give you credit for staying dedicated for 15 weeks and making the progress you did.

As long you can make weekly progress then that's all that will matter.

These is a John Christy program that has you lifting only twice a week and it's been proven to help scores of lifters. The program can be found in this thread:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/ful...on-thread.html

There are also some great choices here:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/rea...-workouts.html

I also personally use a program that we call the Real Results Pull, Squat, Press program which wouldn't necessarily call for you to squat heavy more than once a week. I would be happy to help you figure out a workout based on this system.

Take a look at these workouts, and based on your experiences, let us know what you think.

BendtheBar 09-27-2011 08:39 PM

By the way, no one that progresses and stays persistent is a wuss.

nighttrain 09-27-2011 08:53 PM

^^^ AGREED

glwanabe 09-27-2011 09:28 PM

[quote]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goat (Post 175278)

NO!

Nice work, now like the man said in the movie, C'mon, lets get serious!

Quote:

SL has gotten to the point that I can barely finish a work out. Well over an hour to complete. I took a break and went back at it with 3x5 and the result was the same. I don't think I am recovering enough between workouts.

My lifts are

DL 255

Squat 240

bench 160

OH press 115

Row 160

Nice work!

Now lets add another 100lbs to those.

Quote:

How much weight have you put on in this timeframe?

Quote:

I am sure madcow is a good program, but are there others that may be better for me? Why?
This is subjective. There are lots of good programs that will fit your needs.

Better or worse can be a large margin or a splitting hairs.

Quote:

Then that is what you shall achieve.

I suggest you take Steve up on his offer to work with you, and guide towards a program. If strong is what you seek, then strong is what you shall be.

big valsalva 09-27-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goat (Post 175278)

My lifts are

DL 255

Squat 240

bench 160

OH press 115

Row 160

I have done a single workout of madcow and it felt pretty light, but of course that will change in a few weeks.

The SL program says to switch from 5x5 to 3x5 to 1x5 and then to madcow or another intermediate program. I just don't see how I can to make progress with SL

Nice job, Goat. Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the big and strong club. I say, "NOT a wuss." You demonstrate the finest quality a lifter can have, sticktoitiveness. You'd do well to take BTB up on his offer.

Goat 09-28-2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 175283)
Hi Goat,

There are also some great choices here:

I also personally use a program that we call the Real Results Pull, Squat, Press program which wouldn't necessarily call for you to squat heavy more than once a week. I would be happy to help you figure out a workout based on this system.

Take a look at these workouts, and based on your experiences, let us know what you think.

Alright BendtheBar, show me the way.

I do not mind and in fact wish to squat multiple times a week, I just cant keep the 5x5 15 lbs a week up any longer.

I'm forty three, times a wastin, lets roll.

storm1507 09-28-2011 06:02 AM

I just completed a 3 month run of the MadCow. You will get stronger if you stick w/ this routine.

When I started to waiver, I just backed the program up 3 wks and started over. If you are having trouble recovering, don't want to squat heavy multiple times/week, and don't like long workouts....the MadCow will not be for you. Those are the exact reasons I'm switching next week. I'm going to give the 5/3/1 a go for awhile.

BTW, turned 47 today.....you can do it.

Soldier 09-28-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by storm1507 (Post 175397)
I just completed a 3 month run of the MadCow. You will get stronger if you stick w/ this routine.

When I started to waiver, I just backed the program up 3 wks and started over. If you are having trouble recovering, don't want to squat heavy multiple times/week, and don't like long workouts....the MadCow will not be for you. Those are the exact reasons I'm switching next week. I'm going to give the 5/3/1 a go for awhile.

BTW, turned 47 today.....you can do it.

5/3/1 was the first thing I thought of. you'll still have the planned progression, but at a slower and more managable pace, and you won't be doing as many heavy sets of the same weights in a row as you're doing on SL.

5/3/1 is also something you can stay on for a looong time if you want.

That being said, I'd also like to know how much weight you've gained on your current protocol. Some thing they are eating enough to get bigger, but it can be hard to know.

Goat 09-28-2011 09:41 AM

glwanabe, Soldier, at the beginning of SL I was 253LBS and for awile body fat percentage was going down while weight remained the same. This morning 262LBS. Some is fat for sure as pants don't quite fit anymore.