Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
octoman
Points: 557, Level: 11 Points: 557, Level: 11 Points: 557, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

octoman is off to a bad start
Default Bodybuilding split for beginners?

I lurk alot but don't post and found my way over to some bodybuilder profiles. 100% of them use splits. This confuses me. Ive been thinking about a full body workout but now I don't know.

Any advice?
octoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Hi,
Could you perhaps provide more info on yourself and your level of training? Height, weight, age, experience etc.

Generally I would recommend full body over splits for a beginner - and even many lifters with years of experience would benefit from a full body approach. But I'd like to hear more about yourself.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Carl1174
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoman View Post
I lurk alot but don't post and found my way over to some bodybuilder profiles. 100% of them use splits. This confuses me. Ive been thinking about a full body workout but now I don't know.

Any advice?
Have a read of the John Cristy appreciation thread, there is loads of good stuff on this topic in there.

also there is good on the same thing Here.

hope this helps

carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Most of the well built "bodybuilders" that you see on the web have already put in years of training and have gone through the whole process. They mostly start with full-body routines or basic strength routines and progress into split routines as their training demands it. Successful guys go through this process, unsuccessful guys are still trying to get big with the chest flyes and consentration curls.

However, even though it is preferred to start with a basic strength routine, there are always those individuals that can grow on almost anything. Those types of guys are not good role models as they haven't had to struggle with proper programming the way the rest of the world does.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Most of the well built "bodybuilders" that you see on the web have already put in years of training and have gone through the whole process. They mostly start with full-body routines or basic strength routines and progress into split routines as their training demands it. Successful guys go through this process, unsuccessful guys are still trying to get big with the chest flyes and consentration curls.

However, even though it is preferred to start with a basic strength routine, there are always those individuals that can grow on almost anything. Those types of guys are not good role models as they haven't had to struggle with proper programming the way the rest of the world does.
Very true, but something I've only learned recently.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Old 09-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
octoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Hi,
Could you perhaps provide more info on yourself and your level of training? Height, weight, age, experience etc.

Generally I would recommend full body over splits for a beginner - and even many lifters with years of experience would benefit from a full body approach. But I'd like to hear more about yourself.
I've trained for a few years but my gains haven't been great I'll admit. That's why Im here just want to learn a few things. I am trying to get on the right path but I also ant to enjoy my training and see what options I have available.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoman View Post
I've trained for a few years but my gains haven't been great I'll admit. That's why Im here just want to learn a few things. I am trying to get on the right path but I also ant to enjoy my training and see what options I have available.
Well that's good - it doesn't answer most of my questions, but that's ok.

Full body is the way to go mate. Don't pay attention to 90% of the bodybuilding crap you find on the net.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
octoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post

Thanks you for the response.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Building muscle, in the most basic form, takes 3 things: Calories, Consistency and Tension. If one of those is missing from your training, you will never grow.

In my honest opinion, the best way for any beginner to start is with a beginner strength program. Until you have a solid foundation of strength, you lack the necessary tension to promote growth in any meaningful way. Focusing on basic compound movements will help promote growth far greater than isolations, promote bone density, strengthen connective tissue, improve coordination and fix/prevent muscular imbalances.

Personally, I don't like splits because they represent excessive volume and isolated movements, generally. I believe you can run full body routines that have been properly adjusted for volume and intensity offer more benefits. However, you can properly design splits that are equally effective, but most splits I've seen do not follow an approach I would recommend. In doing so, you'd still have some isolated exercises but focus on compound movements for the majority of your time in the gym. I typically only use splits when I am injured, or someone I'm training is injured. Other then that, I stick to full body.

However, this all really depends on how the split is designed, because there are several templates you can use.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
However, this all really depends on how the split is designed, because there are several templates you can use.
Yes, there are some splits that work, which is why I asked my initial questions.
OP: if you're really in love with the split approach - check out my 4 day routine. It's in my signature.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS